Best practice forum (Archived)

Enhancement Request for the ability to reset completion status using the learning plans.

John Brown
Enhancement Request for the ability to reset completion status using the learning plans.
by John Brown - Friday, 4 July 2014, 9:15 AM

Hi All,

I would like to request an enhancement in the Learning Plans in regards to its ability to reset completion status much like certifications do.  I also would like to add a secondary request in regards to the course defined in the learning showing up in the Required Learning section.

We have a number of courses such as Ethics, Professional Boundaries, Intercultural Awareness. These course are only required once. The exception to that rule is when we are having performance concerns with a particular individual. We may need to resend an employee to one of these training again to improve on their ethics or professional boundaries.

The problem we are finding is that in these situations we put ethics in the learning plan. It already says they are complete because they had already taken the course once. What i would like to propose is a pop up box when adding a course which previously was completed. This pop up box would allow the supervisor the ability to reset the completion settings for this course or allow the current date to stand. If they chose to reset completion setting then the original date of completion moves to historical table and a new completion is required in the learning plan.

The secondary request is that courses which are set up in a learning plan can be shown in the required learning section. Because these course are required for them also now that the supervisor has dictated they must be taking them. I know this may cause complication as both supervisors and staff can create learning plans. Maybe another check box which is only available for supervisors to check which says show in required learning. Then only the course which the supervisor has checked will show up in the required learning section.

Would either of these enhancements be possible?

Thank you for always being open to suggestions for improvement!

John Brown

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
Re: Enhancement Request for the ability to reset completion status using the learning plans.
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Sunday, 6 July 2014, 8:40 PM

Hi John,

There is a project to add functionality to give admins more fine-grained control to edit and reset completions which hopefully will be ready for 2.7 which should address your first point.

On the second I'll file an enhancement request to be able to mark courses in a Plan as "Required", though as things stand usually only Programs/Certifications appear in Required Learning. As an interim clunky workaround you could have a duplicate course containing the same content as the original but with a name marking it as the "must retake" course, add it to a program, and assign the users as individuals. Though this may make reporting a bit more complicated.