Best practice forum (Archived)

Course Creator Role not seeing sub-category

Michelle Lamont
Course Creator Role not seeing sub-category
by Michelle Lamont - Wednesday, 12 June 2013, 5:56 PM

Hi Community - hoping someone can help me.  Being fairly new to Totara, I'm currently testing different roles and permissions and have found that when I assign the 'Course Creator' role at a sub-category level, the sub-category is not appearing for the course creator unless a course exists in the sub-category.  From a site perspective, the sub-category is visible and I have not changed any of the default permissions for the course creator role.

I would like the course creator to be able to add new courses under this sub-category, which currently contains no courses, but because the course creator is unable to see the sub-category, editing access to create a new course doesn't seem to be available.

I found assigning the course creator role at the (parent) category level gives the course creator visibility to the sub-categories, but there are other sub-categories I don't want them to have course creator access to.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards, Michelle

me
Re: Course Creator Role not seeing sub-category
by George Angus - Wednesday, 12 June 2013, 7:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

I couldnt recreate this with the default settings of the role - I think then there maybe something amiss at your end - could you check in Permissions>Define roles>Course Creator that both System & Category are ticked  in the Context types? Also can you check Create Courses is also ticked?

regards,

George.

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Wednesday, 12 June 2013, 8:20 PM

Thanks for your reply George.

Yes, both System and Category are ticked in the Course Creator Context Types.  The Course Creator permissions are:

• Manage categories - Not Set
  • See hidden categories - Allow
  • Add and remove audience members - Not Set
  • Create, delete and move audiences - Not set
  • Create Courses - Allow

To double check myself, I created a course called 'Test' under the sub-category 'Clinical Care' (now 1 course under the sub category).  I then logged in as the Course Creator and because I added the course, can now see the sub category and have the ability to edit and create new courses.  I then logged back in as Admin, deleted the 'Test' courses, logged in as the course creator and the 'Clinical Care' category has disappeared (for the course creator, not for admin). 

Do roles and permissions for sub-categories work the same as 'Parent' categories?

The version I'm using is 2.2.12.

Thanks, Michelle

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 12 June 2013, 8:59 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

This is a bug, which looks like it was fixed in Moodle, we will find out when it was fixed and see if we can back-port it to 2.2.12. Someone will get in touch with you shortly.

regards,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 13 June 2013, 9:31 PM

After a bit of investigation it looks like this is still a problem in 2.4 as well. I'll investigate further and see if I can develop a fix for all versions.

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 24 June 2013, 11:06 PM

A patch for this issue was included in today's (25th June 2013) release of Totara 2.4.4, and a patch will also be included in the next 2.2 release scheduled for the 2nd July.

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 1 July 2013, 10:11 PM

A patch for this issue was included in today's (2nd July) release of Totara 2.2.20.