Best practice forum (Archived)

E-Commerce solution for Moodle/Totara

Bodo Hoenen
E-Commerce solution for Moodle/Totara
by Bodo Hoenen - Thursday, 13 June 2013, 7:38 AM

Hi Guys, 

I am doing some research and trying to find some good solutions for providing an e commerce front end to purchase and/or subscribe to content housed on Moodle/Totara.

I have spoken to Matt Lee from Envisiontel who is a Totara Partner and also on this forum, he has something really cool in the making, but I want to do some more due diligence and see if anything else exists, before making recommendations to my clients.

The basic requirements are:

• Needs to be able to display moodle/totara courses in a catalog for users to be able to choose from. 
  • Should have shopping cart function for multiple purchases.
  • Should have discount code functionality
  • Should have recurring payment functionality (For subscription type purchases)
  • Should be embeddable into a website.
  • Does not need to be a moodle plugin, in-fact its probably better that its not.

Regards

Bodo

? ?
Re: E-Commerce solution for Moodle/Totara
by ? ? - Thursday, 13 June 2013, 7:54 AM

Hi Bodo

I too am interested in this so look forward to any responses.

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 13 June 2013, 8:12 AM

Bodo, there are a range of options that other partners have suggested - off the shelf and costom made https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1941 which may be worth exploring too.

Andy

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Thursday, 13 June 2013, 9:20 AM

Thank you Andy, I did not look under the partner section for previous posts about this, so its good you sent the link!

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 14 June 2013, 12:26 AM

Andy

I am not a partner so cannot access this link, we do have a subscription with Kineo so does my Named Site Administrator have access to this area?

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 14 June 2013, 1:31 AM

Hi William,

It is only accessible for partners, but I am sure Kineo will be able to advise on solutions they have used.

Some highlights of the discussion in the partner thread:

Paypal which comes with Moodle/Totara is fine but limited, so partners have explored third party plugins or even built their own

Coursemerchant is used by some partners

Magento was recommended in this blog post

A custom solution, "We have built a Moodle e-commerce solution by integrating the Drupal CMS and Moodle. The advance to this approach was that we were able to use the Drupal Ubercart e-commerce module which is sophisticated and mature in terms of its ability to manage purchase logic."

Andy