Best practice forum (Archived)

X2 notifications being sent

Michelle Naylor
X2 notifications being sent
door Michelle Naylor - Monday, 15 July 2013, 00:39 AM

Hi All,

We are on version Version 2.2.19

We have recently created a programme (this is the first one we have tried) and added just the one course to this.

We have created a welcome message and this has been sent to all users who have been assigned to an audience, however, the message is being sent twice to all colleagues!!

Once they have completed the course they also receive a ‘Course Completed’ message and again, this is sent twice to all.

Is this something that is happening to anyone else?  How can I stop x2 mails being sent?  I know it’s better to get two than none but it is slightly overkill!!!

Many Thanks for your comments and support.

Chelle

Daniel Bond
Re: X2 notifications being sent
door Daniel Bond - Monday, 15 July 2013, 01:26 AM
Groep Most helpful contributor 2023

We appear to have something similar, two notifications are being generated for each course enrollment, so if the learner goes to the My Learning page they are being told that they have been enrolled on the program twice.

As you say, better that than no notification at all, but just the one would be the optimal situation!

Yuliya Bozhko
door Yuliya Bozhko - Monday, 15 July 2013, 14:26 PM

Hi Dan,

It seems that program enrolment messages are being sent for each enrolment methods that adds a user to a program or when a program due date changes. One of our developers is working on fixing this issue right now. I will let you know on the progress.

Yuliya

Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Tuesday, 16 July 2013, 03:01 AM

Hi Yuliya,

Do you have any timescales for this?

Many Thanks

Michelle

Yuliya Bozhko
door Yuliya Bozhko - Tuesday, 16 July 2013, 14:23 PM

Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately, I can't really give you a timeline for this fix. But I will make sure to let you know as soon as possible when we make any progress.

Yuliya

Dit forumbericht is verwijderd
Monday, 22 July 2013, 03:08 AM
De inhoud van dit forumbericht is verwijderd en is niet langer toegankelijk.
Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Monday, 19 August 2013, 04:51 AM

Hi Yuliya,

Are we any closer to knowing a timeline for this fix.

Many Thanks

Chelle
David Curry (Core Developer)
door David Curry (Core Developer) - Monday, 19 August 2013, 14:38 PM
Groep Totara

Hey Everyone,

A patch fixing duplicate enrollment messages being sent out for programs has been created and merged in to 2.4, it will be included in the next 2.4 release (2.4.8) which should be happening later today NZ time. I still have to look into completion and reminder messages, but hopefully the problems are similar. I'll get back to you when I have progress on the other message types.

Cheers
David

Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Wednesday, 21 August 2013, 23:53 PM

Hi David,

This is good news.

Just a quick question for you, will there also be a patch for 2.2?

Many Thanks

Chelle

door David Curry (Core Developer) - Thursday, 22 August 2013, 13:44 PM
Groep Totara

Hey Michelle,

Yup, the 2.2 patch is in review and will hopefully be included in the next 2.2 release (2.2.22) which should be released next Tuesday.

Cheers
David

Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Friday, 23 August 2013, 06:49 AM

Hi David,

PERFECT :)

Many Thanks

Chelle

Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Wednesday, 18 September 2013, 01:13 AM

HI David,

Do you have an update on completion and reminder messages?

Many Thanks

Chelle

door David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 18 September 2013, 15:01 PM
Groep Totara

Hey Michelle,

I posted a reply on the other forum thread (here: https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17564) a while ago. I couldn't find any duplication in those messages, but there were issues around timing that could have been causing some problems that I put a patch in for... Which I was going to port over to 2.2 and seem to have forgotten to do, good timing on the reminder though the next 2.2 release is the coming Tuesday. I'll port the patch over now and it should get in that release.

Cheers
David

Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Wednesday, 18 September 2013, 23:45 PM

Hi David,

Many Thanks

Chelle

Boss
door Mike Buono - Thursday, 3 October 2013, 12:20 PM

My steps to re-create this in the Totara sandpit:

1. Add new User (with my work email address)
  2. Created a new "Set" Audience (https://sandpit.totaralms.com/cohort/view.php?id=4)
  3. Added my User to the Audience
  4. Created a new Program (https://sandpit.totaralms.com/totara/program/edit.php?id=4&category=4&returnto=category)
  5. Added my Audience to the Program "Assignments" (note, i added NO courses or competencies...)

After this, I received TWO "You have been enrolled on program..." emails from developers@totaralms.com (see attached Zip of 2 msg files)

Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 07:51 AM

Hi all,

Do you have an update for this for Mike and myself as we are still experiencing this issue.

Many Thanks

Chelle

door David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 18:47 PM
Groep Totara

Hey Michelle,

I'm afraid we're all very busy up with getting the 2.5 release ready to go at the moment. But I did manage to replicate the issue on the sandpit site following Mike's instructions, strangely I still couldn't get it happening on my local instance though. That makes it a lot harder to hunt down, any way there is a bug in our system so it wont get lost and we'll get back to you on this thread as soon as possible. Sorry about the delay.

Cheers,
David

door David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 20:40 PM
Groep Totara

Hi again,

We did some more testing on this issue this afternoon, confirming that it is definitely happening on the sandpit, but not for anyone locally. We couldn't pin down what was causing it, it wasn't the theme, category, assignment type, message settings, user message settings, Totara version difference, or anything else we could think of different between our local set up and sandpit. So we have requested a back up of the sandpit sites database from Catalyst (who are hosting it for us), if we restore that locally and it starts happening then it will most likely be a site configuration setting. If it continues to not happen locally then it is most likely something to do with the sandpit server set up. We'll get back to you when we know more.

Cheers,
David

Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Thursday, 17 October 2013, 00:39 AM

Hi David,

Thank you for your response.  It is happening locally to us.  Every time a message is sent from the LMS the learner get x2 mails. 

I appreciate the delay and that you are busy with the 2.5 release, however I did raise this back in July!.

I will wait for your response once you know more.

Many Thanks for the help you have given and the testing you have done so far.

Chelle :0)

door David Curry (Core Developer) - Thursday, 17 October 2013, 20:58 PM
Groep Totara

Hey Everyone,

Great news. After having a look at a back up of the sandpit database we have finally managed to reproduce this locally, and have now found the cause and have a patch in review to fix it, which you should see in the next 2.4 (29th of October) and 2.2 (19th November) releases. That 2.2 one is quite far away so if you want the patch earlier let me know and I'll send you the diff file after it has been reviewed.

This was a tricky one, there is nothing in the code that would cause those duplicate messages. It turns out that it was duplicate event handlers in the database which were catching the `program_assigned` event  and then calling the `message_send()` code once each that caused the duplicate messages. But you only ended up with multiple handlers during the upgrade from 1.1 to 2.2 where we moved totara code out of the local folder and into the totara folder.

And since most of our test databases are normally build on more recent releases or fresh installs, we could never replicate the issue locally.

Thanks Mike for realising it was happening on the sandpit and the steps to recreate, that was a big help. And thanks everyone for your patience while we hunted this one down.

Cheers,
David

Boss
door Mike Buono - Thursday, 17 October 2013, 21:51 PM

That is great news! Well done, and thanks for your persistance.

Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Tuesday, 22 October 2013, 02:28 AM

David,

This is brilliant news.  We would like the patch earlier as we are on 2.2.

Many Thanks for your time and effort spent on this.  Really do appreciate it. 

Chelle

Michelle Naylor 

HR Development Manager  

GKN Group | PO Box 55, Ipsley House | Ipsley Church Lane | Redditch | Worcestershire | B98 0AJ | United Kingdom | Tel: +44 (0) 1527 533 513 | Fax: +44 (0) 1527 533 474 | Mobile: +44 (0) 7825 844 911

Email: michelle.naylor@gkn.com

door David Curry (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 22 October 2013, 13:03 PM
Groep Totara

Hey Michelle,

I have emailed the patch to you.

Cheers,
David

Michelle Naylor
door Michelle Naylor - Monday, 28 October 2013, 08:11 AM

Perfect

Many Thanks

Chelle

Dit forumbericht is verwijderd
Monday, 4 November 2013, 18:19 PM
De inhoud van dit forumbericht is verwijderd en is niet langer toegankelijk.