Best practice forum (Archived)

Incorrect completion dates for non-graded users - 31 December 1969

Bodo Hoenen
Incorrect completion dates for non-graded users - 31 December 1969
by Bodo Hoenen - Monday, 24 June 2013, 7:12 AM

Possible bug with setting the completion status and date for items attempted by a non-graded user (E.G a Teacher).

Test case 1 as a teacher:

1. As a user that has both the teacher and learner role in a course, complete a quiz and a resource that both have completion tracking enabled As a teacher.
  2. Run the activity completion report for that course and download the CSV. 
    1. Looking at the completion information for the Quiz, the report shows:
      1. Completion status: Not Complete - (This is as expected as the user did not complete the activity as a learner)
      2. Completion date: Wednesday, 31 December 1969, 7:00 PM - (This is the incorrect date, and is probably due to no date being set and Moodle assuming the zero date)
    2. Looking at the completion information for the resource, the report shows:
      1. Completion status: Complete - (This is not as expected as the user did not complete the activity as a learner)
      2. Completion date: Monday, 24 June 2013, 8:43 AM - (This is the correct date and time)

Test case 2 as a Learner:
  1. As a user that has both the teacher and learner role in a course, complete a quiz and a resource that both have completion tracking enabled As a Learner.
  2. Run the activity completion report for that course and download the CSV. 
    1. Looking at the completion information for the Quiz, the report now shows:
      1. Completion status: Complete - (This is as expected as the user completed the activity as a learner)
      2. Completion date: Monday, 24 June 2013, 8:45 AM - (This is the correct date and time)
    2. Looking at the completion information for the resource, the report shows:
      1. Completion status: Complete - (This is as expected as the user completed the activity as a learner)
      2. Completion date: Monday, 24 June 2013, 8:43 AM - (This is the correct date and time)

This has been tested on a 2.2.17 and 2.4.1 instance.
Bodo Hoenen
Re: Incorrect completion dates for non-graded users - 31 December 1969
by Bodo Hoenen - Monday, 24 June 2013, 1:20 PM

In addition to the above, after further testing by the client they have noticed that this issue has occurred on users that have only ever had the learner role in the course.

Some, but not all of their records for a course are showing with completion date of Wednesday, 31 December 1969, 07:00 PM

I have found this post on Moolde.org about a similar issue: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=226706

Regards
Bodo 

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 24 June 2013, 4:53 PM

Just a quick note that a date of 0 is interpreted by Unix-based machines as 1st Jan 1970, so the 31 December 1969, 07:00 PM dates are most likely dates of 0 being adjusted for the server timezone - 5 hours behind GMT would be US Eastern Time.

So when tracking down the bug, we should first look for reasons why the completion date would be set to 0.

me
by George Angus - Monday, 24 June 2013, 5:42 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo,

Could you send me a screenshot of the completion critera for everything?

thanks,

George.

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Tuesday, 25 June 2013, 8:16 AM

Hi Geroge, I have emailed you the screen shorts. I cannot see any issued with those settings.

Its also not occuring on all instances, and I cannot seem to replicate it if i just use the learner role but here is a extract from the CSV for a particular quiz showing some reccords marked correctly and some not:

___ QUIZ (v.1.2)  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed Wednesday, 31 December 1969, 07:00 PM
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed Tuesday, 25 June 2013, 09:59 AM
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Completed Thursday, 30 May 2013, 03:50 AM
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed Wednesday, 31 December 1969, 07:00 PM
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
Not completed  
me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 25 June 2013, 7:50 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo,

This is most definitely a bug - to do with completion tracking rather than specific roles,  - Ive filed a bug report. I was certain your settings were fine!

To be morespecific its the activity date being written into the database as zero before all the completion criteria met.

regards,

George.

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 1 July 2013, 10:06 PM

A patch for this issue was included in today's (2nd July) release of Totara 2.2.20, and should also be included in the next 2.4 release scheduled for the 9th July.

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 9 July 2013, 8:34 PM

A patch for this issue was included in today's (10th July) release of Totara 2.4.5

Sarah Cao
by Sarah Cao - Monday, 23 September 2013, 8:38 AM

Hi Ciaran,

We've updated to a patched version a while back but we still see the date. For some users, it is showing up in reports as a program due date, when the user's audience has a due date of 1/31/14 for the program. Should I assume this bug was patched for newer occurrences but doesn't change the date for the old ones? I can't tell for sure if the ones that are appearing are remnants from before the patch or not though. 

me
by George Angus - Monday, 23 September 2013, 6:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sarah,

Could you send screen shots so we can see what you see - the bug here was connected with the date in activity completion, so this may be something completely different.

regards,

George.

Sarah Cao
by Sarah Cao - Tuesday, 24 September 2013, 3:01 PM

Hi George, 

This was in the Program Completion report. Below is a screenshot of 5 users in 2 different programs and their program assignment settings.  

(This is on 2.2.20)

program completion

On 2.4.6, we are getting reports that some users that had a 1969 date for an activity no longer has completion for it. However, we've been unable to find completion data for these users in the database.

Sarah Cao
by Sarah Cao - Monday, 30 September 2013, 3:34 PM

Hi George, I wanted to see if you had news on if this turned out to be the same bug or a different one?

me
by George Angus - Monday, 30 September 2013, 7:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sarah,

Apologies for the delay - its a bug (a different one) , its been fixed and should be out in today's release - and the release of 2.2.24 on the 22nd.

cheers,

George.

A Eisenberg
by Alan Eisenberg - Monday, 7 October 2013, 4:36 AM

Was this also fixed in 2.4.11? We are seeing the same issue in 2.4.10 and wonder if it is fixed there.

b/r,

Alan

A Eisenberg
by Alan Eisenberg - Monday, 7 October 2013, 4:53 AM

I should also mention we are only seeing this in programs and not in the course date completions. Here's a screenshot of a

program report that shows the data wrong for the completion date from Totara 2.4.10.:

b/r,

Alan

Sarah Cao
by Sarah Cao - Monday, 7 October 2013, 9:57 AM

Hi Alan, from George's update, this was fixed first in 2.4.11 (looks like T-11299 Fixed display of empty completion dates in program completion reports). 

Moises Burgos
by Moises Burgos - Monday, 4 November 2013, 6:17 PM

This issue has been fixed in Totara 2.2.24 release. Please let us know if you have any more problems.

Regards,
Moises