Best practice forum (Archived)

Reports and Email Addresses

Suzanne Duncan
Reports and Email Addresses
by Suzanne Duncan - Tuesday, 3 September 2013, 7:00 PM

I need a report that includes email addresses of staff.  It appears that if staff have not chosen that their email address is open to all viewers that it will come up on reports as Email Private.  No use to me at all.  Is this a system set up solving thing or a change request to Totara?  It doesn't seem logical that this information is not available to the system administrators.

me
Re: Reports and Email Addresses
by George Angus - Tuesday, 3 September 2013, 9:51 PM
Group Totara

Hi Suzanne,

The reasoning behind this behaviour was connected to sevurity considerations, but there is an enhancement feature bug in for it and its being looked at. It is by design.

regards,

George.

Suzanne Duncan
by Suzanne Duncan - Wednesday, 4 September 2013, 1:32 PM

Thanks George - thought this must be the case. In an organisation such as ours (DHB) there is no real need for this function as we are a single entity.  Is there a way to set the system up so that the administrator controls this function rather than the user?  This way, if there was a need to have the email non visible, it could be made so - say for the occasional external user by the administrator.

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 4 September 2013, 3:16 PM
Group Totara

Hi Suzanne,

There will be a patch for this which should make it in 2.4.10 by the middle of the month.

A second column option will be added "User email (ignoring user display settings)".

To be consistent with the "Browse list of users" page there will be two further checks:

1. Unless the setting Admin > Users > Pemissions > User Policies > Show user identity setting includes "Email address", the column option is not available in any reports (it won't appear as an option).

2. Once the new column has been added it will only appear for users with the 'moodle/site:viewuseridentity' capability in the system context. Users without that permission won't see the column even if it's included in the report. By default Site admins, managers and trainers have that capability.

hope this is helpful,

regards,

George.

Suzanne Duncan
by Suzanne Duncan - Wednesday, 4 September 2013, 3:30 PM

Very helpful, thanks

Boss
by Mike Buono - Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 8:30 AM

This isn't completely helpful for us unfortunately, unless a "fix" can also be ported back for v2.2 also.  Possible?  Planned?

Output of the user's email address is a basic reporting requirement for us, but even moreso given the issues with Program-generated email messages (e.g., they are only plain text, they send duplicates, etc.).  We have content owners that would prefer to manage "ENROLLED", "DUE", "OVERDUE", etc email message themselves manually and need to get a list of enrolled users' emails to do this.

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 1:50 PM
Group Totara

Hi Mike,

We wont be backporting this to 2.2, is there any way you could upgrade?

regards,

George.

Plamen Vassilev
by Plamen Vassilev - Wednesday, 13 November 2013, 11:02 AM

George,

We are on version 2.4.12. After enabling the user policies: Show user identity > Email address, we still see Email is private on the report.

Thanks,

Plamen

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 13 November 2013, 12:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Plamen,

You also need to go into the report columns editing and change the column to use "User email (ignoring user display settings)" instead of the default "User email".

Simon