Best practice forum (Archived)

Face to face - Waitlist - Overbooking

Wouter Maenhout
Face to face - Waitlist - Overbooking
by Wouter Maenhout - Friday, 6 July 2012, 1:31 AM
Group Partners

Hi,

We have defined a face to face session with no date set and allow NO overbooking. However, people are able to book themselves in a full wait-listed session.

ipg

Is this normal behaviour?

Thank you for your feedback.

Wouter

Austen Sinclair
Re: Face to face - Waitlist - Overbooking
by Austen Sinclair - Friday, 6 July 2012, 2:43 AM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator
Hi Wouter

We see this occasionally. If those registered on the waitlist aren't staff/students in the course they don't get counted and when those with editing rights in the course sign up they don't get countered either.

Cheers
Austen
Totara
by Alastair Munro - Sunday, 8 July 2012, 2:29 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wouter,

This doesn't seem correct. Which version of Totara are you using? There was some work done on enforcing capacity of sessions recently. Also as Austen suggested check permissions ans make sure the users don't have the 'facetoface:overbook' capability.

Cheers,
Alastair

Wouter Maenhout
by Wouter Maenhout - Tuesday, 10 July 2012, 1:42 AM
Group Partners

Hi Alastair,

Our current Totara version for this client is 1.1.5. What version should i use to counter these problems?

Also, i went searching through the different roles, but i didn't find any role where the capability facetoface:overbook is set. It was always "not set". Where should this capability be set? (which role). The obvious roles seemed authenticated user, learner, manager.

Also, there will be no one within the course who hasnt registered, it could be that there are enough people with editing rights to come to an overbooking of 7.

Kind regards,

Wouter

Totara
by Alastair Munro - Sunday, 15 July 2012, 2:37 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wouter,

The version your client is using is quite old and there have been a number of bug fixes since 1.1.5. There was some work done on facetoface waitlisting and approvals in 1.1.14. I would suggest doing a upgrade on a development or test server to see if it solves the problem and if not then we can look further into it. Note that upgrading will not fix existing sessions that have issues but will prevent it from occuring in the future.

facetoface:overbook generally isn't set for anyone apart from managers who you want to be able to add people into full sessions. Having it not set is fine in this case, it just rules out configuration issues.

People with editing rights should still not be able to overbook a session unless they have permissions that specify them to do so.

Cheers,
Alastair

Stephen Lloyd-Smart
by Stephen Lloyd-Smart - Monday, 23 September 2013, 3:59 AM

We're having this problem with our recently launched totara platform....I presume the defualt setting is to not allow overbooking?

I'm setting the capacity of a course to 20 and then manually adding some of the attendees (say 12) ...but it is allowing overbooking!!! ....is this a result of me adding manually?

John Brown
by John Brown - Monday, 23 September 2013, 8:30 AM

Hi Stephen,

My understanding of Totara is that as an administrator you have the ability to override the maximum. If users were signing up on their own they would not be able to overbook. There may be a way to turn this off but it is a nice feture when you want to add an extra participant withouth changing the class size.

John

Stephen Lloyd-Smart
by Stephen Lloyd-Smart - Tuesday, 24 September 2013, 5:18 AM

...but they are signing up on their own ...and it's accepting it even when capacity has been reached!

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 24 September 2013, 3:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi,

This is a bug and Ive filed a bug report.

regards,

George.