Best practice forum (Archived)

Guest access in logs

? ?
Guest access in logs
by ? ? - Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 9:48 AM

Statistics page /report/stats/index.php shows daily site activity by role and we have noticed this includes "Guest" even though guest access is switched off.

There is a table here of the number of accesses by various roles including Guest, at the end of each row is a link "course logs" which leads to /report/log/index.php but here I cannot find any activity for "Guest"

Is this something to worry about? i.e. is someone gaining unauthorised access? or is it a different sort of access which is just logged as guest for lack of a suitable label? I've been testing what happens when I "login as" a user - doesn't appear to add anything to logs.

Simon Coggins
Re: Guest access in logs
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 5:05 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alan,

Could you send us a copy of the log entries (including the pages that guest accessed) and we can take a look.

When you say guest access is turned off I assume you are talking about the "Site Admin > Plugins > Authentication > Manage Authentication > Guest Login button" setting? It would be good to know what your guest related settings currently are.

Simon

? ?
Re: Guest access in logs
by ? ? - Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 3:28 AM

I think I've figured this out (and my apologies if I should really have directed this to moodle forums).

Going straight to the database and looking at the mdl_log table, all entries for guest user (userid=0) are for login errors on frontpage. This seems perfectly logical.

The odd thing is that the statistics page includes these entries, but they are omitted from the log report, even though Guest User is available in the list of users to filter by.

It's not a major thing, just had us a little worried for a while.