Best practice forum (Archived)

Course Version Management in Totara - Is There Such a Thing?

David Quinn
Course Version Management in Totara - Is There Such a Thing?
by David Quinn - Thursday, 31 October 2013, 9:49 AM

Can someone please tell me if Course Version Management exists in Totara? 

What I mean is let's say one of the students finished a course "php training", but next year we will have a new version of the course "php training 2013", so the question is, what can does Totara offer in terms of keeping a record of the course taken and how will it prevent from changing on student records for people who already took the course?  will it default the course for users who have competed after updating the  course version? 

If this is not a native Totara tool or functionality what is a process commonly used that you know of besides keeping track of course versions by name?

Any information and contribution to clarify this will be greatly apprecitaed.

Thanks,

David Q
Richard Jones
Re: Course Version Management in Totara - Is There Such a Thing?
by Richard Jones - Tuesday, 5 November 2013, 11:51 AM

Hi David

Plus 1: Would absolutely love to know best practice in this area as well.  It seems to us that in your above scenario you actually might have three situations to handle:

• A new user to take the new course
  • A previous user who completed the course but needs to do a complete new one
  • A previous user who completed the course and just needs to update themselves on any changes to the course.

We are currently struggling with the best way to handle these situations in Totara.  We also extract course completion information to show the users on their wiki page so it has a knock-on effect.

Thanks

Richard

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 5 November 2013, 2:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi Richard,

I think the Recertification functionality available in 2.5 could go some way to solving this for you.

regards,

George.

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 5 November 2013, 2:21 PM
Group Totara

Hi David,

There isnt anything at present which can do what your after, but we can see that it would be useful - Ill put in a feature request.

regards,

George.

David Quinn
by David Quinn - Wednesday, 6 November 2013, 2:42 PM

Hi George,

Thank you so much for your reply. I think the portion of the request we are more concerned about is this one, as pointed out by Richard:

• A previous user who completed the course and just needs to update themselves on any changes to the course. (The course will have the same name as a previous one taken, but it is a requirement that mostbe fulfilled on a yearly basis)

Would the recertification functionality available in 2.5 target this matter? Where can I get more information about such functionality?

Thanks,

David Q

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 6 November 2013, 3:27 PM
Group Totara

Hi David,

This is perfectly possible in Certifications, where you would specify a different recertification path to the original. 

regards,

George.