Best practice forum (Archived)

Limiting access to a single course

Fiona Cashmore
Limiting access to a single course
by Fiona Cashmore - Wednesday, 6 November 2013, 8:13 PM

We're needing to manage access to courses for a specific set of learners, so that they only see the actualy course they are enrolled in and no further. Is there a way in v2.4 to lock down access for users to a single (or small selection of) learning activity?

Thanks

me
Re: Limiting access to a single course
by George Angus - Thursday, 7 November 2013, 1:42 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fiona,

One way to do this would be to have the single course in its own Category, and then hide all the other categories. This would mean making sure other Learners have the ability to see hidden categories. 2.5 has a much better Audience visibility functionality.

hope this is useful,

regards,

George.

Fiona Cashmore
by Fiona Cashmore - Thursday, 7 November 2013, 2:05 PM

Hi George

Not sure if I've understood correctly. We've a select group of learners (about 20) external to our regular learner base (of around 1000) who would need to access a single course (although different ones within that group need to see different courses at the same time). For example 'External learner A' needs to see 'Course 123' and 'External learner B' needs to see 'Course 234' at the same time. So both A and B would be able to see the two courses (they need to be able to see their own course only though) and nothing else; and our regular learners would see these courses and all the hidden courses. Is that right?

We need our regular learners and this external group to have access to the same course so I'm not sure this will work for us. We essentially need to be able to quarantine access rather than quarantine the course itself. Are there any other potential options we could look at?

Thanks, Fiona

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 7 November 2013, 4:59 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fiona,

What you have to do is hide the category/courses and then give the Learners who you wish to see the courses the capability to see hidden courses, in that category context. So you create a role which has the capability to see hidden courses and assign it appropriately within a category. 

hope this helps - do get back if there is anything further,

regards,

George.