Best practice forum (Archived)

Personal goals not showing in report?

Simon Coggins
Re: Personal goals not showing in report?
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 20 November 2013, 2:37 PM
Group Totara

Ah, the challenges of pleasing everyone :-)

Currently there are three goal related report sources:

Goal Summary

This shows aggregated scale values for each company goal for 1 specific goal framework. Personal goals are not shown. I think this one is fine as is, I really don't think it makes sense to display personal goals when there will only ever be 1 scale value listed.

Goal Status

This lists one user/goal combination per row. This currently also only shows company goal data (not personal). 

Goal Status History

The intention of this report is that it would be the same as Goal Status, but including past values. However it turns out this report does include personal goals in some cases. Clicking the "Status History" link limits the report to only show history for that one goal item (which is always a company goal). If you remove the "item_and_scope" parameter from the url (or create a new report manually and view that) then all goals are shown including personal goals.

So the three options I see are:

1. Add personal goals to Goal Status to make it consistent with Goal Status History

2. Remove personal goals from Goal Status History to make it consistent with Goal Status

3. Add a configuration setting which determines if Personal goals appear in both reports or not.

Obviously 3 will make everyone happy - but it does require extra development, adds to the complexity and creates more code to manage and maintain. In general I prefer to avoid creating new configuration settings unless really necessary.

Tim, note that any user can still be given direct access to a user's "My goals" page to view the personal goals via permissions, here we're just talking about the ability to do site-wide reporting on personal goals.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or views on how we should resolve this?

Simon