Best practice forum (Archived)

Tasks or Assignments

? ?
Tasks or Assignments
by ? ? - Tuesday, 12 November 2013, 3:40 PM

I have a course which contains more than 100 tasks. We need to capture certain information about each task. Such as the following:

Task Number: Text

Task Name: Text field

Projected Start Date: Date field

Projected End Date: Date field

Projected Duration: [End Date – Start Date]

Actual Start Date: Date field

Actual End Date: Date field

Actual Duration: [End Date – Start Date]

Task Status: [a drop-down list box]

Now, if I add these fields to the course, they are only available at the course level. But, what I do need is for each task to add the description, start date, end date, etc.

What will be the best way to accomplish this requirement? I do not want to create 100 courses or to treat each task as a course. I sincerely appreciate for any help I can get.

Course: Auto Mechanic

Task Number

Task Name

P-Start-Date

P-End-Date

P-Duration

A-Start-Date

A-End-Date

A-Duration

Task Status

Oil Change

11/10/13

11/12/13

11/15/13

11/16/13

Completed

Filter Change

11/11/13

11/11/13

11/12/13

In Process

Tire Rotation

11/11/19

11/11/19

Not Started

me
Re: Tasks or Assignments
by George Angus - Tuesday, 12 November 2013, 6:54 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tony,

I think for this level of reporting for Activities it would require some custom work, in particular the "Task status". 

regards,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 12 November 2013, 11:34 PM

Hi George,

I agree the calculated fields can be done by exporting the data. But, you also mentioned that activities are captured by Totara, For instance I can see the Activity name, Activity ID number, Due date, Cut-off date, Enrolment date, completion date, completion status etc. But, where? When I add an activity to a course I do not see these dates or completion status. I can see the activity name or description. Do I have to change the settings to see these dates?  If these fields are available in the back-edn data base,  I need to have them available to end user or instructor to change these dates or to change the status as needed. Can you please show a screenshot after you add an activity to a course to see these dates and status?

Thank YOU

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 13 November 2013, 1:12 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tony,

Rather than trying to use activity completion to achieve this, have you considered the "database" activity. You can define all the fields that you want to be available, allow certain roles to enter data and then display, filter and export the resulting data.

It might be more flexible and suitable for what you are trying to do.

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 13 November 2013, 8:56 PM

I actually started to use the database activity, and created a few fields, then I did not know how to bring it into GUI so the teacher or others based on the role could see and change the content. Is there any documentation that you can refer me to, or screenshots so I do not have to guess its usage.

With the backend database, I can add as many fields and as many records I need per course. Now, if I create the database in a course, can it be available in other courses? Because chances are the task ID and descriptions are different but the rest of date fields and calculated fields are the same. I sincerely appreciate any help you can provide.
Thank you.

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 14 November 2013, 11:56 AM

As suggested previously, I added Database activity to let say course A, then created fields, added some records (let say 10 records), and used list view template to show all these 10 records.

John Doe signs up for the course A. He clicks on database activity, and able to see the 10 records, and able to add new records, so far no problem.

Now here is the problem:

I want John Doe to be able to modify any of these10 records that I as the administrator added initially. But after modification, I want to ensure that change records only applies to John and no one else. That is if another student signs up for the same course, I wanted the new student to see the Original 10 Tasks that I added for course A. and not the modified tasks by John. Is this possible?

I guess if I use ##USER NAME## and filter the records, I can show records added by John, but what about the 10 Tasks that was original added by admin? (Is there another pre-defined field such as ##Modified by## so I can pass it as a filter?)

To make the story short, lets assume that John modifies 3 out of 10 records, and added 1 more new record. Now, is it possible to view a list of all 11 records (7 records unchanged, 3 modified records, and 1 added record) when John logs in next time?

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 14 November 2013, 12:31 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tony,

It does sound like what you need is beyond what is possible with the database activity, and that some custom development to meet your need might be the way to go.

Before that though I would suggest you have a browse through the Moodle plugin database:

https://moodle.org/plugins/

and see if there are any existing plugins that would work for you. If not (and assuming you don't have any in-house developement capability) I'd suggest getting in touch with a Totara Partner - they will be able to help with the process of defining your requirements and working out the best way to deliver what you need:

http://totaralms.com/partners

Simon