Best practice forum (Archived)

Problem with Report Source: Course Completion by Orginaization

John Brown
Problem with Report Source: Course Completion by Orginaization
by John Brown - Tuesday, 3 December 2013, 3:20 PM

Hi All,

I have been having some problems with the Report Source Course Completion by Organization.

The Goal of my report has been to see how many "employees" In each ORG has completed each course so that we can decide identify gaps within our Agency.

It does not seem to be calculating the report as i thought it should!

For Example:

Organization A has 106 employees within the organization.Only 6 employees within this ORG have actually completed "Course A:

When the report runs it identify s that these 6 people have completed Course A:

But the Percentage report is incorrect because it says that 100 Percent of "ORG A" employees have completed Course A:

What it should be saying is that actually only 5% of the employees in Org A have completed Course A.

Please see screen shot of report.

Is this an error? Or was this report source created in this way? I cant seem to figure out what other application you would use this for.

Any Insight would be a huge help as a report like is important for our workflow.

Thank You

John

Simon Coggins
Re: Problem with Report Source: Course Completion by Orginaization
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 8 December 2013, 3:46 PM
Group Totara

Most likely the problem here is that there are currently no completion records for the users who haven't started the course yet. You can see that there is a 0 in the "Number not started" column. So this report is saying there are 6 course completion records and they are all complete (that's where the 100% comes from).

If you have the setting "Course completion begins on enrollment" enabled in the course settings (the default), then a "Not started" record will be created at the time when a user is enrolled and this report should show you what you want to see.

This does require you to enrol all the users you want to report on to the course - otherwise there would be no way for the system to know who is required to take it.

Simon

John Brown
by John Brown - Monday, 30 December 2013, 3:10 PM

Hi Simon,

I am still having problems with this report source. I have everyone enrolled by certification or programs. I have checked "Course completion begins on enrollment" in all courses. But only those who have opened the course once are enrolled and reported on. Is there any way around this to create a report source that would base the numbers on members of organization if they are enrolled or not? Basically i am looking for percentages of which organizations have completed courses regardless if they are enrolled or not. I also want to see how many have not completed from these organizations so we can do organizational planing!

One other thing that i wanted to note is that the RPL courses do not have any effect on the percentage. These somehow need to be included into this report.

Thanks

John

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Monday, 13 January 2014, 4:24 PM

I'm having this same issue. Was it ever resolved?

John Brown
by John Brown - Tuesday, 14 January 2014, 4:20 PM

Hi Liz,

No unfortunately i have not found a solution as of yet. I am looking to create a modified report source but will have to look at what that will cost me!

John

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Wednesday, 15 January 2014, 7:14 AM

Good to know, John.

I'm going to take a look again at the Configurable Reports Moodle plugin. It is what I used pre-Totara. You might want to as well. It isn't pretty, but it it allows for freeform SQL queries. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

Liz