Best practice forum (Archived)

A better sitewide calendar

Matthew Lee
A better sitewide calendar
by Matthew Lee - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 8:49 AM

Hello everyone. I have a customers who is not that thrilled with the standard calendar in Totara/Moodle. Does anyone know of any other calendar plugins out there that they would recommend? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Best

Matt

Austen Sinclair
Re: A better sitewide calendar
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 12:04 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Matt

Completely agree, the use of the standard Moodle calendar is hopeless and not business ready. In addition to being awful it's based on supporting term/semester length courses and overly interested in exam and assessment dates and not connected to F2F sessions.

We created a heavily customised calendar in Moodle 1.9 and recently migrated it to Totara 2.4.  It’s based on Face-to-face events in the site and has the right-hand side panel that shows matching waitlisted (un-dated) sessions. I’d be keen on sharing and hopefully further refinement in its use.

Does this look like it might solve your issue?

Cheers
Austen

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 12:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi guys,

Developing the calendar in this way is a good idea - Ill put in an enhancement request - if you have any suggestions or functionality requirements then please let us know.

regards,

George.

Matthew Lee
by Matthew Lee - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 1:09 PM

Hey Austen

That looks pretty close to what they were describing they wanted. Would I be able to get ahold of this? Do you offer it as a plugin? How can I work with you?

Best

Matt

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 2:09 PM

Hi Matt

I'll ask our vendor on how to get the code to you (they’re strong on open source so it be about the mechanics of distribution rather than a permissions thing).  Although, I’m not sure how good the documentation is and I’ve attached a piece of our F2F guide we have for course owners - it shows that to make the Calendar work each session has to have some mandatory values (Business Area, Topic, and Region) which I’m sure you can re-name in the code to suit.

Cheers
Austen

Matthew Lee
by Matthew Lee - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 2:17 PM

Austen

I appreciate it. Who is your vendor? We are partnered with many of the Totara partners so I may already have a contact over there. 

Thanks a ton

Matt

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 4:14 PM
Group Totara

If this is implemented in a generic way then we could look at including it in a future release if you are happy to share.

Simon

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 5:12 PM

Cool!  Yes, very happy to share and I'll ask our vendor to follow up with you!

Cheers
Austen

Kathie Robeson
by Kathie Robeson - Thursday, 12 December 2013, 11:05 AM

Hi Austen - We can see this working very well for a client we have now.  If you could put your vendor in touch with us also (or us with them), we'd appreciate it.  Best, Kathie 

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Thursday, 12 December 2013, 3:57 PM

Hi Kathie

Awesome, further demand & interest should help push this into core Totara!  As I done for Matt, I'll ask our vendor to get the code to you.

Cheers
Austen

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Thursday, 12 December 2013, 4:20 PM

Note:  attached is our original paper about the Calendar we had developed - despite being from 2009 it is still a valid and accurate description of what & why.

Austen Sinclair
New Calendar is already in core Totara ! Re: A better sitewide calendar
by Austen Sinclair - Thursday, 19 December 2013, 5:54 PM

Turns out the Calendar functionality (based on Face-to-face events) is already in core Totara! 

You can see it on the demo site:

https://demo.totaralms.com/blocks/facetoface/calendar.php

and probably on your own site: via .. /blocks/facetoface/calendar.php

In the new year I’ll write a ‘how to’ and see if it can get incorporated into the Totara documentation.

Cheers & Merry Christmas

Austen

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 20 December 2013, 10:05 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.