Best practice forum (Archived)

course search enhancement

anuchit veerasiriyanon
course search enhancement
by anuchit veerasiriyanon - Sunday, 8 December 2013, 7:59 PM
Group Partners

Hi Totara team,

I would like to know Totara 2 year mindmap plan. Are there any new features in the plan?

Now I am looking for course enhancement on searching as following:-

1. use can search or display "self-registration course" only

2. search also can display course category, course name and start date

Many Thanks,

Anuchit

Nathan Lewis
Re: course search enhancement
by Nathan Lewis - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 3:32 PM
Group Totara

Hi Anuchit.

Valeri and I have been working on the new Enhanced Catalog that will be coming in Totara 2.6. Also, there were also some recent additions to T2.5 (some in T2.5.2) that might help you.

First I'll tell you a bit about the Enhanced Catalog. This will be an option that can be enabled which will replace the "Find courses" menu with a "Find learning" menu. The items in this menu link to the new enhanced course, program and certifications report builder reports. We'll be adding:

• instant sidebar filters - filters that appear to the left of the report data and update the content when they are changed (on click) rather than needing to be submitted. Some of these filters can show counts representing the number of records that match the particular item (think Amazon's electronics section where you can filter RAM, CPU, PSU etc).
  • toolbar text search - one text search field which can be used to search over multiple text database fields.
  • expanding sections - clicking an item in the report data can cause another section to expand below that row showing additional information, e.g. clicking a course name will show a box with details about the course, the user's status in that course and (depending on the course/user/settings/status etc) a link which let the user enrol or launch the course.

The features above will already be in use in the enhanced catalog, but they're built into report builder so any report can be built to use these features. For example (and one of the things I'm expecting people will do), you might want to change the contents of the course expanded section to include your custom fields or additional information. Or you could create new expand sections linked from any column in any report and showing any information related to the selected item.

As I said, we've already added a bunch of features to report builder in T2.5.2. There are some explanations of how they work https://dev.totaralms.com/wiki/Docs/tech/reportbuilder/Post_config and https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17740 (it was posted by Simon but I was the author :)

All these new features can be (or will be able to be) used in any report. They still need some custom work to be fully utilized, but it should be a lot easier and more flexible than previously. "Self-regirstration courses" should be possible to implement with the current features. The new enhanced course catalog will contain (or, if it doesn't by default then you can add) course name, category and start date.

If you need any help with the new features then let me know.

Nathan

anuchit veerasiriyanon
Re: course search enhancement
by anuchit veerasiriyanon - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 11:44 PM
Group Partners

Many Thanks Nathan for your clearly explanation on these new features and suggest me on how to get it via report builder. Your value contribution is very helpful. I have no any further requirement now.

Best regards,

Anuchit