Best practice forum (Archived)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 20 December 2013, 6:21 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
me
Re: Certification Done on Birth Month Setup
by George Angus - Sunday, 22 December 2013, 2:44 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alan,

What you are proposing would work, but you could user the birth month directly in the Complete field, and base the recertification on completion date, so you wouldnt need to have 12 audiences.

regards,

George.

Thursday, 26 December 2013, 7:45 AM
me
by George Angus - Thursday, 26 December 2013, 12:45 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alan,

That will work fine, when I was looking into this I just created 12 monthly audiences using date rulesets and excluding previous audiences, your solution strikes me as being less messy!

regards,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 26 December 2013, 10:48 AM

I have also wondered if it might be advantageous to be able to set recertification date based on a statically defined date within the certification configuration details, or custom user profile fields. Might be a good idea to consider whether this would be beneficial to people.

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 26 December 2013, 6:11 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jamie,

This is a good idea, Ill put in an enhancement bug, hopefully it shouldnt be too difficult to implement.

cheers,

George.

Friday, 27 December 2013, 7:17 AM
Tom Ireland
by Tom Ireland - Friday, 10 April 2015, 8:15 AM
Group Totara

Hi, all

As a brief update, I have created a specific "Suggest features" forum post for this one here and posted the outcome of the review in the post.

Thanks.

Tom

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Sunday, 12 April 2015, 4:09 PM
Group Totara

Hi everyone.

After spotting the message from Tom, I thought I'd update you all on an enhancement I've been working on.

After discussing different use cases for certifications, we decided to add a third option for how the recertification dates are calculated. The options will be:

1. Use certification completion date (unchanged) - The time expires is calculated as exactly one "active period" from the day that the cert was completed. This option can cause the time expires to "drift" backwards (when completed early) and forwards (when overdue).
  2. Use certification expiry date (small change) - Uses the last expiry date to calculate the next. The first time this is calculated, it adds the "active period" to the "due date" if there is one (this is the small change that will be added), otherwise it uses the date the cert was completed. If the user is overdue or expired, it adds the "active period" to the date the cert was completed, so that certs are active for a minimum of the "active period". This option can cause the time expires to "drift" forwards (when overdue).
  3. Use fixed expiry date (new option) - This option causes the expiry time to be calculated based on the specified "due date", and subsequent completions will use that same base date, regardless of whether they are late or early. For example, if the "active period" is one year and a user has a "due date" or 1 Jan 2014, then they complete on 1 Feb 2014 (while overdue), their cert will expire on 1 Jan 2015, just 10 months away. We will also have a "minimum active period" which can be set on a cert when using this option, and which must be at least as big as the "recertification open window". This option will prevent "drifting" forwards or backwards.

I think that you'll be able to achieve what you want using the new "Use fixed expiry date" option and creating one audience for each month of the year.

Nathan

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 23 June 2015, 7:55 PM

The new "Use fixed expiry date" mentioned by Nathan above was included in Totara 2.7.4 released Tuesday 23rd June 2015.

Peter Pappas
by Peter Pappas - Thursday, 25 June 2015, 11:05 AM

Very Cool! Thank you!