Best practice forum (Archived)

Quiz Scoring - Multiple Choice question (multiple answers)

Renee Tregonning
Quiz Scoring - Multiple Choice question (multiple answers)
by Renee Tregonning - Wednesday, 1 January 2014, 8:27 PM

Hello!

Just a quick question to see if anyone has any ideas with Multiple Choice questions and scoring so a learner will receive a failing mark if they get the question wrong. I'm not sure if I should be using Penalties or scoring the incorrect selections with a negative mark.

Example:

Multiple Choice question (allowing multiple answers) Question:

Select the correct Safety equipment to perform your job below (there is more than one correct answer)

A. Hi-vis Vest (partial correct = 25%)

B. Sandals (incorrect = score??)

C. Hard hat (partial correct = 25%)

D. Gloves (partial correct = 25%)

E. Long sleeved shirt (partial correct = 25%)

F. short sleeved shirt (incorrect = score ??)

How can I provide a failing mark if the learner selects all of the above which still gives them a passing grade when they have answered it incorrectly?

Thank you.

Renee

Daniel Bond
Re: Quiz Scoring - Multiple Choice question (multiple answers)
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 2 January 2014, 2:13 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

It really depends how you want to approach the marking, and if the learner must get all of the correct answers and none of the wrong ones, or whether wrong answers simply reduce the mark not zero it. If you want to simply deduct a mark for each wrong option ticked, then you would apply a negative percentage for each of the wrong answers. On the other hand, if you want an all or nothing type situation, as far as I can work out you need to install the All or Nothing question type plugin. Depending on which version of Totara you are using, make sure you use the right version of the plugin, it appears that the Master has been updated for 2.5 but worth testing.

Hope that helps

Dan

Renee Tregonning
Re: Quiz Scoring - Multiple Choice question (multiple answers)
by Renee Tregonning - Thursday, 2 January 2014, 1:44 PM

Thanks Dan, we are on Totara v1 at the moment and looking to upgrade shortly. This makes sense, we do want the 'All or Nothing' option. For the meantime I will set a negative mark and when we upgrade will look at the function you have described.

Thanks again!

Renee