Best practice forum (Archived)

Critical Bug with Scorm backup/restore in course

? ?
Critical Bug with Scorm backup/restore in course
by ? ? - Friday, 10 January 2014, 5:56 AM

We have ran in to this bug, I think: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-40223 Bug title: "launch value on mdl_scorm is reused when backup of course is used to make a new course"

Fix version in that bug is Moodle 2.5.4. Client site is running Totara 2.5.5, based on Moodle 2.5.3, so I think we need this bug fix.

Here is whats happening.

Client uses backup/restore to create course template backup files, which are then restored into new courses as they construct courses in preparation for the LMS go-live date. The course template includes the most standard activities and configurations they will be using in courses, including a scorm activity used as a place holder for Scorm content in each new course they restore to. The problem is that the Scorm activities in new courses that have been created/restored from the template backup file are not working. Basically the scorm popup window opens, but nothing is rendered in the scorm window. When I view the scorm window in developer tools, nothing is rendered between the scorm div content tags. This seems to only affect the learner opening the Scorm. A trainer role or administrator can load the Scorm perfectly fine.

Standard scorm activity settings include "Display package" = "New Window" and "Student Skip content structure page" = "Always". This way the scorm popup always loads directly from the course page for the learner.

While troubleshooting, I ended up looking at scorm tables in the database, and noticed that in the scorm table, the only difference between working Scorm activities and non-working Scorm activities was the scorm.launch field. As per the Moodle bug above, when I changed the launch value for the non-working Scorm to something unique, the Scorm began to launch correctly for learner role. It in fact was not unique before I did that, as is the case with many of the other Scorm activities in the scorm table.

I would appreciate advice on the best workaround until this bug as fixed, as well as info on expected fix date for this bug. It is critical for a client nearing go-live date.

Simon Coggins
Re: Critical Bug with Scorm backup/restore in course
by Simon Coggins - Saturday, 11 January 2014, 1:25 AM
Group Totara

Hi Jamie,

Moodle 2.5.4 hasn't been released yet! It is due out on 13th Jan (2 days), after which we will merge it so the next release (Totara 2.5.6) will be based on Moodle 2.5.4. Totara 2.5.6 is due out on 21st January.

Could you cherry pick the Moodle fix onto your client's branch in the mean time? Most likely we will take the Moodle fix unchanged for Totara, so doing so shouldn't cause you merge issues when you upgrade later.

Simon

This forum post has been removed
Saturday, 11 January 2014, 2:38 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Simon Coggins
Re: Critical Bug with Scorm backup/restore in course
by Simon Coggins - Saturday, 11 January 2014, 11:42 AM
Group Totara

We don't merge the weekly Moodle releases into Totara, only the full point releases, so this isn't in Totara yet but will be in the next release as described above.

Simon