Best practice forum (Archived)

Importing grade for coursehistory fails

Martin Sandberg
Importing grade for coursehistory fails
by Martin Sandberg - Monday, 13 January 2014, 5:39 AM
Group Partners

Hi,

I'm running Totara 2.5.5 on my local machine trying to test "Restricted access" to a Certificate in a course that will be imported.

When importing I set the grade to 100 and it shows in the import log that the grade has been imported.

IDSort by ID Descending DescendingLine numberSort by Line number AscendingErrorsSort by Errors AscendingImported as evidence?Sort by Imported as evidence? AscendingImported bySort by Imported by AscendingTime uploadedSort by Time uploaded AscendingUsername to importSort by Username to import AscendingCourse ShortnameSort by Course Shortname AscendingCourse ID NumberSort by Course ID Number AscendingCompletion dateSort by Completion date AscendingGradeSort by Grade Ascending
28 2   No Admin User 13 Jan 2014 at 14:18 vsttest_D Diplom Diplom 2013-12-18 100

The problem is that when I do a report on the course the grade shows 0.0

TypeSort by Type Ascending

Course NameSort by Course Name Ascending

PlanSort by Plan Ascending

Course due dateSort by Course due date Ascending

ProgressSort by Progress Ascending

User's FullnameSort by User's Fullname Ascending

Course statusSort by Course status Ascending

GradeSort by Grade Ascending

Diplom

Complete via rpl

David Vsttest

0.0%

Now, I have tried a couple of different things here but I can't get the grade that is shown in the import to be reported.

The real problem here is that the grade my users get, 0% does not allow them to access the Certificate that they should have.

I wonder if I have missed any settings on the course that would make this possible or if this is a problem in Totara preventing it?

Glad for any info I can get,

Best regards,

Martin

me
Re: Importing grade for coursehistory fails
by George Angus - Monday, 13 January 2014, 3:16 PM
Group Totara

Hi Martin,

This looks very much like a bug - someone will look into it and get back to you soon.

regards,

George.

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 13 January 2014, 4:15 PM

There are two distinct problems here I think.

The first is that the course completion report Grade column does not consider course grades via RPL so always shows it as 0% even if there is an RPL Grade for the course. That is a fairly straightforward fix.

The second and more tricky problem is that restricting availability of activities depending on the completion of other activities also does not consider course completion via RPL. The course might be imported with an RPL grade of 100, but that will not mark the individual activities as complete (nor should it, there is no individual activity completion upload functionality...yet) so, at the moment, the conditional activity will not be accessible. I'll need to consider the best way to set up a conditional activity so that a course grade via RPL will also be considered when deciding whether to unlock the activity.

I'll investigate further and see if I can get a patch into review to fix both issues.

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 13 January 2014, 5:07 PM

There's also the question of whether people should have access at all in this scenario - if you didn't actually do the course on the system, but are being given credit for the course because of external equivalent prior learning, should you be able to access and print the certificate?

The question then becomes "did the user do this exact course, at a prior time before Totara was set up" or "are they being given credit for equivalent learning elsewhere"- which would have different expected behaviours when it came to things like locked certificates, I'd imagine.

Martin Sandberg
by Martin Sandberg - Tuesday, 14 January 2014, 12:24 AM
Group Partners

Hi, thanks for the answers.

The scenario I have is that the customer has a previous system and we need to import the data from that system. The users have taken the exact same course in the previous system and should therefore on all accounts be considered as "passed" in Totara.

The custumer has certificates in the previous system and wants all users who has access to certificates there to also have them in Totara.

We do not need individual activities to be set as completed. It is enough if the grade set by the import is counted as a correct grade everywhere that grades count.

If grades are not counted in Totara I fail to see why they are there in the import...

One solution to this could be a tickbox on the import side that decides if the imported data is "real" evidence or for equivalent prior learning.

Best regards,

Martin

Martin Sandberg
by Martin Sandberg - Tuesday, 14 January 2014, 11:22 PM
Group Partners

The customer in question is going to need their imported data and diplomas by the end februry so I wonder if this will be planned for a fix before that or if we need to consider doing this some other way?

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 15 January 2014, 3:39 PM

There's a patch in review to fix the report so it shows RPL grades correctly so that should hopefully be in the next 2.5 release.

As for course completion via RPL overriding activity access restrictions, I've filed an enhancement request but there is a lot of debate over whether course completion imports should override activity access restrictions at all, and if so the best way to do it, so I wouldn't expect anything to happen on that in the short term.

Martin Sandberg
by Martin Sandberg - Thursday, 16 January 2014, 2:49 AM
Group Partners

Thanks for the answer.... great that one of the issues will get resolved at least.

We are looking at other ways to go forward with this.... so we will manage without it.

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 20 January 2014, 9:09 PM

A fix for the reporting issue was included in today's (21st January 2014) release of Totara 2.5.6

Jamie Kramer
by Jamie Kramer - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 9:27 AM

I am dealing with this exact thing Ciaran mentioned: "As for course completion via RPL overriding activity access restrictions, I've filed an enhancement request but there is a lot of debate over whether course completion imports should override activity access restrictions at all, and if so the best way to do it, so I wouldn't expect anything to happen on that in the short term."

I am going to be putting in a new topic soon about some enhancements we need to the course completion record import, and this is one of the areas we need to deal with.

One option I considered was, a configurable option that specifies "mark all activities as completed in the course"

Basically, learners with imported completion records need to have access to activities that have access restrictions enabled. For instance, in the normal course flow used, a scorm activity is not available until an ILT activity is complete. For users with imported completion records, those users would never be able to review the content in the Scorm activity. It is a requirement in this case that learners have access to the scorm to be able to review material contained within.

I have considered that perhaps some new options within activity access restrictions might be nice. For instance, "ignore activity access restrictions if user has completed this course."

In other cases, learners with imported completion records should not be able to interact with an activity. For example, the requirement is that learners with imported completion records should not be able to sign up for an ILT session or submit feedback in a feedback activity. In this case, perhaps an activity access restriction option for "restrict access if user has completed this course."