Best practice forum (Archived)

Is there a Certification status report?

David
Is there a Certification status report?
by David Shaw - Friday, 31 January 2014, 2:29 AM

Hi,

Am I missing something simple?  I don't seem to be able to find a report source that allows me to see a list of which learners have expired certifications or which are in a renewal window?  Has one been created and if not when will one be available.

Thanks

David

me
Re: Is there a Certification status report?
by George Angus - Sunday, 2 February 2014, 1:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi David,

Will the "Record of Learning: Certifications" do the job? or maybe the "Record of Learning: Previous Certifications"?

cheers,

George.

Tim Newham
by Tim Newham - Monday, 3 February 2014, 12:16 AM
Group Partners

Hi David, we're creating a new report source for our NHS clients, that will allow for better per-person certification status information. Should be available in 6 weeks or so. If you send me a message with your specific requirements I'll check whether what we're doing is a match.

Tim @ Think

David
by David Shaw - Monday, 3 February 2014, 1:37 AM

Hi George,

The Record of Learning reports don't allow you to show any user details, therefore as an admin I can't  see a full list of learners that have just expired for example.

David

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Monday, 3 February 2014, 1:33 PM
Group Totara

Hi David and Tim.

I had a look at the reports and report sources and can see what's going on. The certification embedded report pages are designed to only show the data for the user who is viewing it, which is why you can't see a full list of users with certifications when you view it. However, if you create a custom report based on the report source then the restriction to the current user is removed. Unfortunately, it seems there was some confusion during development as to whether the report sources would be used this way, so the user fields weren't added (although "Record of Learning: Previous Certifications" does in fact have the user fields and they are commented out in "Record of Learning: Certifications" source, very odd). The user fields should be in most (or maybe all) of the "Record of Learning" reports, but one of our devs will have to investigate to see which ones are applicable.

I'll put a bug report in to get someone to fix this. I'm not sure if the people higher up will consider this a bug or an enhancement, so I'm not sure how it will be prioritized. Until then, David, you can try creating a custom "Record of Learning: Previous Certifications" report and see if it contains enough information for you.

You could try removing the "//" disabling lines 156 and 365 of totara/plan/rb_sources/rb_source_dp_certification.php and try creating a custom "Record of Learning: Certifications" report. If you do change the code, please be careful as it needs proper testing to ensure that it doesn't introduce any other problems (it seemed to be ok from my quick test).

Tim, you might want to try making the suggested change and seeing if the custom report sources will then be equivalent to what you were planning to do. If you're planning to build something beyond that then we'd be keen to see what you've done and consider if it can be integrated into core Totara, but you'll have to talk to someone higher up about how that would happen.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Nathan

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Monday, 3 February 2014, 3:39 PM
Group Totara

Hi guys.

I decided to do it myself since I'd already worked out what needed to be done :)  The patches for Totara 2.4 and 2.5 are in review now and will hopefully be included in the next releases (there's a 2.5 release today but the cutoff has probably already passed, in which case it'll be two weeks until the next).

Nathan

Tim Newham
by Tim Newham - Tuesday, 4 February 2014, 1:19 AM
Group Partners

Hi Nathan, that's great, thanks for taking the initiative!

Can you please post back here once you know whether they're definitely in the release in 2 weeks?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Newham
by Tim Newham - Tuesday, 4 February 2014, 1:47 AM
Group Partners

Hi again Nathan,

I've just done a brief test and yes your plan of un-commenting rows works. BUT we'd also need to be able to filter by things like organisation and position, and potentially by manager name as well. Is there a chance that you can make those changes as well?

Thanks,

Tim

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Tuesday, 4 February 2014, 7:24 AM

Just thought I should say here that we are also very in need of these reports--with these same filters.

Thank you Nathan for working on this!

Liz

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Tuesday, 4 February 2014, 1:29 PM
Group Totara

Hi everyone.

You guys got lucky! I had a look and it turned out that it was pretty easy to add the other fields, and it makes the Record of Learning report sources more consistent with other report sources, so the patch now adds organisation, position and manager columns and filters to all Record of Learning report sources (not just certifications and programs).

Obviously it wasn't in yesterday's Totara 2.5 release. It'll hopefully be included in the next 2.4 and 2.5 releases.

Nathan

David
by David Shaw - Wednesday, 5 February 2014, 1:08 AM

Thanks Nathan thats great news,

David

Tim Newham
by Tim Newham - Wednesday, 5 February 2014, 8:47 AM
Group Partners

Great - thanks Nathan!

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 17 February 2014, 8:32 PM

A fix for this issue was included in today's (18th Feb 2014) release of Totara 2.5.8

Moises Burgos
by Moises Burgos - Monday, 10 February 2014, 7:35 PM

Hi guys,

This issue has been fixed in Totara 2.4.17 release. It should also be included in 2.5 release next Tuesday (February 18). Please let us know if you have any more problems.

Moises