Best practice forum (Archived)

SCORM interactions report

Steph Wild
SCORM interactions report
by Steph Wild - Thursday, 30 January 2014, 8:21 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi,

We are using Totara v2.5.5 and uploading SCORM 1.2 compliant elearning.  Part of the elearning package is a quiz.

When the package is completed by a 'Learner' the interactions report is empty however when it is completed by any other role the interactions report is populated correctly.  The lesson status is being passed over correctly just the interactions are not.  SCORM debugging is showing no errors.

We're abit stuck as to where we need to look to sort this out - any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Steph

me
Re: SCORM interactions report
by George Angus - Thursday, 30 January 2014, 2:58 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

Could you forward a copy of the SCORM george.angus@totaralms.com

thanks,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 30 January 2014, 3:46 PM

Hi Steph,

From looking at the code of that report there's two things I'd check first - that SCORM tracking data is actually being written to the mdl_scorm_scoes_track table so that there is some data there for the report to actually show;

And secondly check the Authenticated User and Learner roles to see if they have the capability to save tracking data - capability mod/scorm:savetrack

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Friday, 31 January 2014, 3:22 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I'd checked the Learner role and this was OK but on checking the Authenticated User it wasn't set for save tracking.  I've altered this now and I'll get my developer to test it on Monday and let you know.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Tuesday, 4 February 2014, 3:32 AM

Hi,

Still no working!

In your previous email you suggest I check that SCORM tracking data is actually being written to the mdl_scorm_scoes_track table however I don't know how to do this.  Could you point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 4 February 2014, 1:37 PM

Hi Steph,

It would involve someone actually monitoring the database when a learner is using the SCORM package to see if anything is being written, and then trying to figure out why not. Probably something that would need the involvement of sysadmins/your Totara partner.

As it seems to be only learners that are affected however the first place to check would be some sort of role/permissions issue. Have you modified your roles and capabilities? You might need to compare a role that works with the learner role. Also, is it just this one particular SCORM, and other SCORM packages work as expected? That might suggest the package itself is faulty in some way.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Thursday, 13 February 2014, 4:56 AM

Hi Ciaran

We've had another dig around this issue and found:

When running the interactions report on a SCORM activity, the results are not returning complete data for users with the Learner access role. The record of the attempt is reported but none of the question interaction data (ie. question answers, quiz result or score). Users with the admin roles who have completed an activity are coming back fine.

We looked at the MySQL table mdl_scorm_scoes_track and the data is being inputted into the database correctly regardless of user role, with no difference at all between a Learner or Admin user. This means that the SCO is transmitting the data to the database successfully and that the issue must be somewhere between the database and the report.

We've narrowed down that it appears to be related to the permission setting "can view SCORM reports". By default this is disabled for the basic Learner role, but when we enabled this permission the reports for subsequent Learner interactions were returning correctly with all the data correct (although previously completed activities by Learners before the permission change were still not returning properly). We disabled this permission again, and again subsequently completed activities stopped returning the complete data.

Is this a bug or intended behaviour?  We don't want our learners viewing these reports.
Thanks

Steph
? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 13 February 2014, 12:26 PM

Hi Steph,

I had a hunt around the Moodle forums and found this thread which might be related

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=237486

Unfortunately no answer on that thread though :-(

It does sound like a bug if the data is being written to scorm_scoes_track, but not being shown in the report. I take your point that ordinary learners should not be viewing such reports so you don't want to enable that capability! We'll investigate the report code and see if we can track down the possible cause of the bug though it appears to be a hard one to replicate.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Friday, 14 February 2014, 8:17 AM

Thanks Ciaran.