Best practice forum (Archived)

Face to Face notifications sending incorrectly

John Brown
Face to Face notifications sending incorrectly
by John Brown - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 12:06 PM

Hi All

I seem to have found a glitch in the notifications that are being sent. We are on 2.5.6 this may have been fixed in a later release and if so please advise and we will upgrade.

Step one: Open Face to Face session and open notifications screen

Step 2:Add – Create sessions to spec as demonstrated in screen shot 1.  Save notification and will show up in notification screen as demonstrated in screen shot 2

Step 3: Activate the notification.

**Now this is where things go wonky because it sends an email to all users who were ever booked in a face to face session*** It sends the No show email to everyone and not just the people who were actually NO-Show. It also then changes the rule for the notification automatically as demonstrated in screen shot 3.  

Is this an error unique to our site or is this a much bigger problem?

Thank you for any response as this has been a huge embarrassment for us as all staff who actually attended the session have been receiving emails saying they never actually attended the session.

PS:Secondly is there a way to turn off the setting so that emails are not sent retroactively and only moving forward as it looks bad to staff getting emails for courses which they attended a year ago!

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
Re: Face to Face notifications sending incorrectly
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 1:37 PM

Hi John,

Yes, the issue with the notifications sending out emails to all users booked on all historic sessions was fixed recently in 2.4.17 and 2.5.7. Sorry for the inconvenience!

David Curry (Core Developer)
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 6:39 PM
Group Totara

Hey John,

I've had a closer look and you are right, something strange is going on with that "no shows only" setting. I'll file a bug and try get a patch in a release soon.

As for the sending to historic facetofaces, the patch included recently fixed this for "Before Session" notifications, because it was fairly easy to see when to cut off the notifications (when the session starts). However where would you suggest setting the cut off for "After Session" notifications? x days after the notification... but not for ones over a week old? And then you have to start wondering about things like, what if they want to send it to everyone 8 days after sessions, or if they want to send it to 2 week old sessions. The only way I can see to make this work for everyone would be to add yet another setting to that page. I'll add a separate enhancement bug for that.

Cheers,
David

John Brown
by John Brown - Thursday, 20 February 2014, 8:16 AM

Hi David,

My thought for the historical idea. Was just to have a check box that would say don't send retroactively for the ones which were "After Session" that would then mean that no matter when the session ended it would only send notifications to courses/sessions which come after the creation date of the rule. I understand your concern for the logic and make sure that it works for all indviduals moving forward.

Thanks for looking into our error for us!

John

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 10 March 2014, 7:47 PM

A fix for the "no shows" issue was included in today's (11th March 2014) release of Totara 2.4.18

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 17 March 2014, 9:17 PM

A fix for this issue was included in today's (18 March 2014) release of Totara 2.5.10