Best practice forum (Archived)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 16 April 2012, 11:35 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Monday, 16 April 2012, 2:31 PM
Tuesday, 17 April 2012, 5:06 AM
Tuesday, 17 April 2012, 2:23 PM
Wednesday, 18 April 2012, 7:18 AM
Simon Coggins
Re: Totara not showing courses user enrolled in
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 19 April 2012, 6:41 PM
Group Totara

Hi Larry,

• Why isn't the newly enrolled course listed on the user's Home page when the user first logs into Totara

The "My course completions block" only shows courses where the user has a course completion record - the message the user sees "You are not currently enrolled in any courses" is actually wrong, it should really read something like "You do not currently have any course completion records". I'll get that updated.

By default, a course completion record is only created when the user achieves their first "completion criteria". This avoids the course appearing as "in progress" as soon as the student is enrolled.

You can change that behaviour on the course settings page. Check the "completion begin on enrollment" checkbox just below where you enable completion, and that should fix this problem (for new enrollments).

If you want to make that the default for all new courses you can check the box in Site Admin > Courses > Course Default Settings too.

• Why does the newly enrolled course's Course completion status state the user is not enrolled in the course when the user first opens the new enrolled course? 
I can't reproduce the message you are getting in the block. I'm wondering if you are enrolling them in a role which isn't set to be tracked by course completion. Could you check which roles have course completion enabled in Site Admin > Grades > General Settings > Progress Tracked Roles ?
If the role you are enrolling them to the course with is not progress tracked that would explain what you are seeing. If not, could you let me know which course completion criteria you have set and I'll try and reproduce what you're getting.
Simon
Tuesday, 4 March 2014, 7:11 PM
? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 4 March 2014, 7:35 PM

A couple of people have reported this now but I can't replicate it.

If the course setting "Completion Tracking -> Completion begins on enrolment" is turned on then as soon as users are enrolled the course should appear in the My Course Completions block

What are all the various completion configuration settings in

Site Admin -> Advanced Features

Site Admin -> Courses -> Course default settings

And in the courses in question themselves in the Course Admin -> Edit settings -> Completion tracking?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 1:20 PM
Group Totara

According to https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-26644 the completion starting on enrolment didn't serve any useful purpose and was taken out of Moodle up to version 2.4 and needs to be fixed in 2.5.

Maybe it does serve some purpose for completion reports

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 5:37 PM

We did eventually track this one down - it turns out that if a course is added to an Audience as Enrolled Learning then the users are enrolled on the course, but completion is not triggered even when the "Completion begins on enrolment" is enabled on the course.

So there was a bug in this area and it should be fixed in the next 2.5

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 17 March 2014, 9:16 PM

A fix for this issue was included in today's (18 March 2014) release of Totara 2.5.10