Best practice forum (Archived)

Small request - Appraisal Assignments screen

Daniel Bond
Small request - Appraisal Assignments screen
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 3:29 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Hi,

On the Assignments page for appraisals, would it be possible to display the ID number of the position / organisation / audience used for assigning users as well as its name?

As some background, we currently have several thousand positions, all with 1 person assigned, named after their job title. Since a lot of people have the same job title, that means that a list of just the names of the positions on the assignment page doesn't tell me which Staff Nurse each one is. This is important because if someone is wrongly assigned to the appraisal, I need to know which Staff Nurse to remove again.

Guessing this is a really minor thing to sort, but it would definitely be a big help to me!

Regards

Dan

me
Re: Small request - Appraisal Assignments screen
by George Angus - Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 3:39 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

This is a good idea, it already happens with audiences. Ill put in an enhancement bug.

cheers,

George.

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 31 March 2014, 1:45 AM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

I was just wondering about your model of 1 position per user you described. Is there a reason why you have it arranged that way? I guess I would have expected a single audience containing all the users to be assigned rather than thousands of very small positions.

Is there some other limitation that you are working around?

Simon

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Monday, 31 March 2014, 2:08 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

The main reason that we've had to have 1 user per position is content restrictions on reports. I'm very pleased to see that 2.6 will allow a "My staff or below" for reports, because until now we've had a maintain a position framework which exactly mirrors the management hierarchy so that we can provide reports containing all staff below a given manager.

In the case of our first appraisal (for all staff), we had an audience of all 6500 users who should be doing an appraisal, so that was exactly as expected. The problem is that, as we've been asked to move staff between managers, to ensure that there is an active appraisal between that staff member and their new manager we've had to assign that user to a new appraisal. We can't just push out that new appraisal to all 6500 staff (because the majority of them haven't been reassigned), so we assign them to the new appraisal individually by position.

To put this in context, I assigned just over 1100 staff to this appraisal who had been moved between managers in the last 3 weeks. Of course we're not expecting anything like those numbers this month, it was (hopefully) the initial spike of managers being assigned appraisals and realising they hadn't told me that their team had changed, but hopefully that illustrates why I've been pushing on getting some of the problems with the appraisal functionality sorted. I did find a workaround to identifying a particular member of staff; by removing their position, it shows up as a 0 for the number of staff assigned to the appraisal for that position, so I can then remove it and then reassign the user to the position.

Hope that clarifies, happy to talk through our setup a little more if it would be helpful for you to see how Totara is being used (and maybe suggest obvious mistakes we've made!)

Regards

Dan