Best practice forum (Archived)

Ability to export per session

Rob Bloor
Ability to export per session
by Rob Bloor - Friday, 4 April 2014, 6:52 AM

Hi

I posted this in the user feedback forum, as yet no one has supported it.  Thought I’d try in here.  Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Is it possible to have the option to export attendance just for just one session?  We have cumulative data for all our staff and we need to book the same staff onto multiple courses sessions per day.  Ideally we don’t want our admin to go through the same process of booking the same staff onto different sessions.  If we could export session data (as a workaround) we could copy and paste these staff onto further sessions? 

Anyone else have the same issues with this scenario?

Rob

Craig Eves
Re: Ability to export per session
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 6 April 2014, 5:38 PM
Group Totara

You may be able to create a report in the report manager using the face to face sessions report source that produces a file for a session that can be Bulk added into a session.

I am not sure what the structure of the file should look like - assuming it is similar to the Attendees screen the report headings should be Name, Time Signed Up, Cost, Discount code, Attendance

The bulk add attendees popup says Note: Users must be referenced by their ID number and must be delimited by a comma or newline so I think the Userid number field also needs to be included.

It would be good to have the file structure required shown in the Bulk add attendees from file popup box.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Tuesday, 8 April 2014, 6:19 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi,

We run training days which are actually a number of small courses running back to back.  Staff have to book themselves or an administrator has to book them onto each individual course separately.  It would be much better if we could

• add them to more than one course at the same time
  • and/or 'copy' learners from one session to another session (either in the same course or a different one).

Kind regards

Steph

Tom Ireland
by Tom Ireland - Tuesday, 8 April 2014, 7:59 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Steph

It's possible to automate this process somewhat by utilising the Audience functionality in Totara to assign people to multiple courses.

Have a look at our existing help documentation on Audiences - http://help.totaralms.com/audiences.htm

With regard to Face-to-Face sessions, you can assign multiple users to a F2F session using a CSV file, or via text input if you know specific User ID Numbers. There isn't currently a way to copy users across to a new Face-to-Face session.

Craig's suggestion of creating a report using the Face-to-Face Sessions source and exporting the report as a text file (CSV) with the User ID Number, will allow you to assign larger numbers into a Face-to-Face session using the exported CSV file.

Regards

Tom

Rob Bloor
by Rob Bloor - Wednesday, 9 April 2014, 5:18 AM

Hi all

I’ve looked into this and there is no way of getting a username out from any of the reports. An ideal option would be able to export the session data with attendee username. However it is excluded from there. Looking at setting up a report from the face to face source again excludes the username. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Rob

Tom Ireland
by Tom Ireland - Wednesday, 9 April 2014, 6:13 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Rob

You are correct, Username is not available when exporting attendance from a session, however Username is an available column in the Face-to Face Sessions report source on the Report Builder.

The column data you would need to import the Face-to-Face attendees in bulk via CSV or text input, is the User ID Number field. This, too, is an available column in the Face-to-Face Sessions report source.

I noticed from your first post that you have many sessions that contain the same users. Were you looking for a way to "clone" sessions with or without attendees?

Cheers

Tom

Rob Bloor
by Rob Bloor - Thursday, 10 April 2014, 12:38 AM

Hi Tom

Thanks, I'll dig further into the Report builder.  What I want to do is to clone sessions but it is the attendees I want clone.  E.g. we have a study day where many courses are delivered throughout the day.  Many staff will attend all, but some will drop out.  If I could clone that staff group and paste it into the other sessions i.e. multi book staff onto many sessions from different courses it would be great.

Rob

Tom Ireland
by Tom Ireland - Thursday, 10 April 2014, 1:27 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Rob

Great! The Report Builder is a great tool and will certainly allow you to build an import file for bulk adding attendees to sessions.

If you have any future feature suggestions, please add them to the Suggest a Feature forum as you have done already. This will allow other community members to participate and we get a good idea of what people are really looking for. We do get a large number of feature requests so we can't say when, or if your suggestion will be implemented.

Thank you for your feedback, it's really appreciated.

Cheers

Tom