Best practice forum (Archived)

Disabling participant view

Rob Bloor
Disabling participant view
by Rob Bloor - Friday, 4 April 2014, 6:54 AM

Hi

Not sure if this is a quick query or not.  I’m fully aware that the design inherent in Moodle allows you to see your course participants.  However in a F2F scenario where we will be asking 16,000 staff to complete certain courses e.g. Fire Safety I don’t want the ability for anyone to scroll through our whole workforce and see who has and who has done it etc.  Any way of turning this off?

Rob

Tom Ireland
Re: Disabling participant view
by Tom Ireland - Monday, 7 April 2014, 9:20 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Rob

Are you referring to the Attendance List on a Face-to-Face session being visible to everyone? If so, the permission for the Learner role to view an Attendance List is disallowed by default.

Does that help answer your question?

Regards

Tom

Rob Bloor
by Rob Bloor - Tuesday, 8 April 2014, 12:59 AM

Hi Tom

No, it's at course level.  We have one/many course(s) with numerous sessions taking place over the year.  Anyone enrolled (i.e. all 16,000 staff) can see all particpants as well as their last access.

Regards

Rob

Tom Ireland
by Tom Ireland - Tuesday, 8 April 2014, 1:58 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Rob

Okay. Sure, that's definitely possible.

First I would advise checking out the docs - http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Roles_and_permissions for more information on roles and permissions.

By default, the Learner Role is able to view Participants in a Course. There are a couple of ways you can disable the ability for the Learner role to view Participants. This would be dependent on your requirements of course.

1. Disable the ability to view Participants at system level. This removes the ability for Learners to view Participants completely.

• Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define Roles
  • Edit the copied Learner role (see below) and disable View Participants under Course

Important note: If you are going to make tweaks to role definitions, make a copy of the role you want to modify and tweak that one. That way, if you mess anything up, you can revert back to the Learner role without any hassle. You can then assign your copied Learner role as the role for Learners under Site Administration > Users > Permissions > User Policies

2. Disable the ability to view Participants at course level. This allows granular control for specific courses, rather than across the whole system.

Course Administration > Users > Permissions

• Select the Learner role from the drop-down as the role to override
  • Set View Participants under Course to Prevent

If you think that you need View Participants disabled for the majority of course, I would advise point 1. You can then allow visibility of Course Participants by following step 2 and choosing Allow instead, for those courses you want to allow visibility of Participants for.

Cheers

Tom

Rob Bloor
by Rob Bloor - Tuesday, 8 April 2014, 4:00 AM

Thanks Tom, was half way towards that with a little help from a colleague, was about to post a reply about this, but many thanks for your in depth reply, saves a bit of working by trial and error.

Rob

Rob Bloor
by Rob Bloor - Tuesday, 8 April 2014, 4:55 AM

Thanks Tom, was half way towards that with a little help from a colleague, was about to post a reply about this, but many thanks for your in depth reply, saves a bit of working by trial and error.

Rob

This forum post has been removed
Thursday, 17 April 2014, 10:27 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.