Best practice forum (Archived)

Audience Based Visibility Problems

Gareth Kilby
Audience Based Visibility Problems
by Gareth Kilby - Monday, 2 June 2014, 7:37 PM

I'm losing my mind a bit here guys. I've been working on Totara for a few weeks now, and I'm trying to keep all of my content hidden from anyone except those who need to see it. I've employed audience-based visibility, and I've had some success, but now I'm stumped.
In the attached picture, you'll see a list of courses in a category I've set up. All of the courses, with the exception of the first one (the welcome message) have the same settings. The same audience is enroled, and the same audiences have been selected for audience-based visibility, and yet, when I login with a test account, all sessions are visible and displayed on the welcome page EXCEPT the ones greyed out. Why are these courses greyed out? Why can they be seen?

Any help you guys could provide will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

me
Re: Audience Based Visibility Problems
by George Angus - Monday, 2 June 2014, 9:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Gareth,

This is very likely to be connected to the view capabilities of the role which the test account has, can you have a look & send me a screenshot?

regards,

George

Gareth Kilby
by Gareth Kilby - Tuesday, 3 June 2014, 5:32 PM

I danno what happened, but the problem seems to have sorted itself. I logged in this morning, removed all the audience-based visibility settings and added them again, and everything is just the way I want it.

Is there an easier way of changing the audience-based visibility? Since I have to keep changing the setting depending on what my client needs, I have to edit each course and change the settings one by one; there's got to be a better way.

The other day when I was trying to suss out these settings, I found a page that did this, but I cant remember how to get to it. You'll see attached a picture I mocked up of what it looked like: course names on the left, audience-based visibility settings on the right (with drop down options) and other information in the middle. Does that look familiar?

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 3 June 2014, 7:54 PM
Group Totara

Yes, you can see all courses for a particular audience by viewing that audience.

Click Site Admin > Users > Accounts > Audiences > [audience name] > Visible learning tab

The visible learning tab only appears when audience visibility is enabled.

Simon