Best practice forum (Archived)

UTC options in timezone - return to UTC+1, UTC+2, etc...

? ?
UTC options in timezone - return to UTC+1, UTC+2, etc...
by ? ? - Monday, 25 August 2014, 4:32 PM

Currently using 2.6, which requires us to select timezones based on city names.

Our clients are all over the world, and while we enjoy the opportunity to learn geography, it's rather time consuming to try and find a city on our available map that is near enough to their specific location.

It worked quite well for us when we had the UTC+ option as that was much quicker for us to determine. 

I can't seem to find an option to revert back to that. I can only see a straight UTC in the list.

Any suggestions? 

me
Re: UTC options in timezone - return to UTC+1, UTC+2, etc...
by George Angus - Monday, 25 August 2014, 4:54 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jackie,

The reason we disposed of UTC+1  system was it caused huge problems with daylight saving adjustments & F2F sessions, messaging etc. It didnt work. Ill put in an enhancement bug to add the major timezones.

regards,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 25 August 2014, 5:06 PM

Thanks George. Having the major timezones will help us out a lot! 

naama
by Marjaana Jokinen - Thursday, 28 August 2014, 1:41 AM

Hi,

There has been some discussion on timezones also in another thread, the scheduled reports sending issue: https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17003

Just to be sure: what is the recommended way to handle this when user data is synced from an external source (Active Directory) and the AD doesn't store the timezone directly in the UTC format.

We probably can work out some combination of "country/city" mapping using Totara Sync.

But looking at this latest discussion, will this enhancement support both ways of indicating the timezones (UTC and/or country/city)? And what format should be used to show this in the Totara Sync file?

br,
Marjaana

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 28 August 2014, 3:36 PM
Group Totara

Hi Marjaana,

Theres a list of the timezone cities here

regards,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 28 August 2014, 4:32 PM

Just to be clear we will not be re-adding UTC+/-offsets. They were removed for a very good reason as they are incorrect, do not handle DST properly, and caused endless trouble especially with F2F sessions and scheduled reports. We may add some of the more commonly-used timezone abbreviations e.g. EST or CET.

But for now the region/city format is what should be used e.g. Pacific/Auckland, America/Chicago or Europe/Berlin