Best practice forum (Archived)

New profile fields in 2.6 missing from Totara Sync

Daniel Bond
New profile fields in 2.6 missing from Totara Sync
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 28 May 2014, 6:47 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Unless I'm missing something, it appears that the Additional Name Fields feature of 2.6 isn't supported in the User Totara Sync currently. Without the ability to update the profile fields (alternate name, middle name, etc.) using Totara Sync, the feature isn't actually very helpful because there's no way that we would want to manually update 1000s of users. Hopefully this is something simple enough that it can be included in a very early point release of the 2.6 series. I am aware from MDL-40683: CSV user uploads do not allow alternate name fields that there is a workaround, but Totara Sync is definitely the better tool to use for user management.

Regards

Dan

me
Re: New profile fields in 2.6 missing from Totara Sync
by George Angus - Wednesday, 28 May 2014, 3:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - its a bug & Ive filed a bug report,

Regards,

George.

David Curry (Core Developer)
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 28 May 2014, 10:00 PM
Group Totara

Hey Dan,

This only required a minor code change, I have a patch in for it now. You should see it included in one of the next 2.6 releases, hopefully the next one on Tuesday (3rd of June).

Cheers,
David

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 29 May 2014, 2:02 AM

That's brilliant, thanks for your quick work.

Regards

Dan

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 2 June 2014, 10:24 PM

A fix for this issue was included in today's (3rd June 2014) release of Totara 2.6.2

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 11 June 2014, 8:35 AM

I can confirm that Middle Name is now one of the Totara Sync fields and displays on User Profile fields. What I hadn't realised that it's not in the User report source or on the Browse List of Users page, so it's not quite as much use as I had hoped! I can see that User First Name - phonetic and User Last Name - phonetic have been added to the report source, but would it be possible for the other Additional Name Fields (middlename and alternatename) to be added as well? Ideally, the User's Fullname fields (User's Fullname, linked to profile, linked to profile with icons) should follow the format of the Full Name Format setting in the User Policies admin area. Equally, if the Browse List of Users page could have the same setup then that would be great, but I'm aware that there are plans to convert that page to a Embedded Report (which is a great idea by the way), so that point may become moot.

It might also be worth, while I'm being picky, changing the order of the fields in the Edit Profile page so that Middle Name comes between First Name and Last Name, but that's obviously not vital!

Regards

Dan

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Tuesday, 1 July 2014, 1:52 AM

Sorry to bump this, but I just want to check whether the above has been logged as a bug (since the feature is effectively not much use in Totara unless Middle Name is available across everywhere where a name is used) and if there's an estimate of when it might be resolved?

As with most large organisations, we have a lot of users with the same first name and last name, so middle name is very useful for distinguishing between them. As a workaround we have included the middle name in the first name field for some users, but this is definitely not ideal.

Thanks

Dan

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 1 July 2014, 4:08 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

It looks like this one has slipped between the cracks - please accept our apologies, Ive filed a bug. Thanks for bumping. We should've picked up on this -  since this forum is generally for "Non-urgent" support - in future it would be best to submit a support ticket as our processes are designed to highlight bug reporting through that channel.

regards,

George.

Alex Büchner
by Alex Büchner - Thursday, 3 July 2014, 10:16 PM

The same applies to the temporary manager and its expiry date.

David Curry (Core Developer)
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 9 July 2014, 4:52 PM
Group Totara

Hey guys,

Dan - I've got a patch in review adding the alternate name fields to reports that include the user source.

Alex - Could you be more specific? Temporary manager fields are missing from, sync? reports?

Cheers,
David

Alex Büchner
by Alex Büchner - Wednesday, 9 July 2014, 10:08 PM

David,

we have a customer who wishes to assign the temp manager plus expiry date via Totara Sync.

Best regards,

Alex

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Tuesday, 21 October 2014, 7:54 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alex.

I've created an enhancement bug in our tracker for adding temporary manager and expiry date to Totara Sync. As an enhancement, it'll need to be reviewed alongside other enhancements to figure out when it will be implemented.

Nathan

Lucian Dinu
by Lucian Dinu - Monday, 10 November 2014, 1:37 PM

Hello,

Nathan, we have a client asking for this, too - do you know if this will be included in the next release, by any chance? Thank you.

Best regards,

Lucian Dinu

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 10 November 2014, 4:33 PM

Hi Lucian and Alex,

This feature suggestion has been added to our features and enhancements tracker for review and assessment.  For future reference the tracker ID is 13412.

I have created a new topic in the Suggest features forum here https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18862 to provide visibility and allow for further discussion if necessary.

We will provide a status update once the review and assessment has been completed.

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 4 December 2014, 4:00 PM

This feature / enhancement request (tracked under enhancement ID 13412) has been deemed medium priority and is not currently planned for development by Totara core.

If you wish to pursue this functionality further your options are

• custom development

If you are considering contributing the completed customization back to Totara core, please refer to our guide to contributing code to Totara LMS here and contact Jonathan Newman, our Vice President of Product Solutions.

OR

• provide funding for development by Totara core

If you are considering providing funding for development by Totara core, please contact your Totara Channel Partner Manager to discuss further.

Development priorities are reviewed regularly.  If you wish to escalate your market need for this functionality, please contact your Totara Channel Partner Manager.

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 6 November 2017, 7:20 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 8 November 2017, 6:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi Marius,

We have a feature Request TL-5629 - HR Import/ Sync temporary manager and expiry date. its not currently planned for development - but if you would like to raise its priority please contact you Totara Channel Partner manager.

regards,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 16 July 2014, 2:14 AM

A fix for this issue was included in the 16th July release of Totara 2.6.5

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 23 July 2014, 8:57 AM

Hi,

When you say that a fix was released in 2.6.5, is that just to include Middle Name as an available field in report sources, or the wider request for User's Fullname to use the Full Name Format setting? I can see you also changed the order of the fields when editing a profile, it definitely makes a lot more sense now so thanks for that.

Regards

Dan

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 23 July 2014, 3:12 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

It was just the adding the new columns not changing the formatting of the user fullname column.

b/r,

George.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 24 July 2014, 1:31 AM

That's fine, thanks for that, just wanted to check I wasn't missing something. Would it be possible to have the above changes that haven't yet been implemented added as an enhancement for some point in the future? I know it may seem minor, but having middle names (or phonetic, or "known as") included in the full name can be very useful given it appears in both custom and embedded reports (My Team, etc.)

Regards

Dan