Totara Learn Open Discussions

Bulk Course Upload - WITH content?

John Unnever
Bulk Course Upload - WITH content?
بواسطة Thursday, 28 December 2017, 6:14 AM - John Unnever
مجموعة Partners

Hello,

We have a customer that has hundreds of courses they will need to upload into our Totara environment.  The courses all have content pieces associated with them.  I see that Totara allows for bulk upload of courses using a CSV file, but what I'm assuming is that this will create the "shells" for the courses only... and then we would need to go into each individual course and upload the associated content..  is this correct?

Is there a way to include the associated content with the bulk upload tool? Perhaps if the content files were loaded into the sitedata directory a SQL query could be written to associate the content files with their corresponding courses by updating the necessary tables?

I'm looking for any ideas anyone might have here!  Thank you for your time :)

Tom Ireland
Re: Bulk Course Upload - WITH content?
بواسطة Friday, 29 December 2017, 1:51 AM - Tom Ireland
مجموعة Totara

Hi, John.

Whilst it's not possible to specify content creation upon upload, there are a couple of options available when uploading courses which will allow you to create content inside the courses.

The first thing you'd need to do is create the template course(s) to be used which contains the content you want to create when the courses are uploaded.

There are two methods you can use to specify the template when uploading courses:

1. Specify the template in the CSV - the advantage of this is you can specify more than one template.
  2. Choose the template from the course upload options after uploading the CSV - this is simpler when using one template.

Check out the Uploading Multiple Courses area of our documentation for more information. In regard to option 1, check out the Course action fields section and in regard to option 2, check out the Upload settings section.

It's worth performing a couple of tests first to make sure it works as expected.

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

Tom

Zoe Hulme-Thomas
بواسطة Tuesday, 9 April 2024, 12:23 AM - Zoe Hulme-Thomas

Hi Tom,

This answer is exactly what I am looking for, but when I follow the links it takes me to an error message and a re-direct. If I follow the redirect it just takes me to the main menu, not the articles - can you provide updated links for the 3 areas you have recommended to read please?

Regards

Zoe

علامات:
Alex Virtue
بواسطة Wednesday, 10 April 2024, 8:47 AM - Alex Virtue
مجموعة Partners

Hi Zoe
I'm not Tom but I believe the 1st and 3rd link should be as follows for v18 (version control can be handled in the top left down to v13):

I can't find anything that matches "course action fields" in the public docs, but there is only 1 other page within the "Upload courses" category - https://totara.help/docs/creating-course-upload-files - so perhaps this is also useful.

Craig Eves
بواسطة Wednesday, 10 April 2024, 3:09 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Zoe

The last page provided by Alex has import options and course process parameters - this is equivalent to the course action fields

regards