Totara Learn Open Discussions

Activity Restrictions and their impact to Course Completion

Gavin Landon
Activity Restrictions and their impact to Course Completion
by Gavin Landon - Monday, 25 June 2018, 3:27 PM

Hey All,

I've tried reviewing the forum posts for an answer to my question and I came up short. I'm wondering if anyone can help with my issue.

I have courses with many activities in them that are restricted based upon which group a user is in. I also require that ALL Selected Activities be completed in order to pass the course. Examples below.

Problem: I want those enrolled into the course to take the courses that are "visible" to them and pass the course as a result. Currently, you cannot use and/or logic in the Course Completion settings. Thus, enrolled learners will never be able to pass/complete this course because they would never be able to complete all the activities checked off in Course Completion.

I know I can do a workaround like a label that learners can mark as complete after viewing all their "visible" activities, but then they would no longer be required to view and complete the activities. They can just select the label check mark and complete the course. And yes I know there is reporting to verify activity completion, but I'm trying to streamline the course completion process as much as possible without having to run extra reports.

Thoughts? Thanks for everyone's time!

Course: Food!

SCORM Activity: Apples and Oranges

• hidden unless user is in the "Fruits" group

SCORM Activity: Carrots and Celery
  • hidden unless user is in the "Vegetables" group

SCORM Activity: Beef and Chicken

SCORM Activity: Why Food is Good!

Course Completion Settings:

All selected activities to be completed:
  • SCORM Activity: Apples and Oranges - CHECKED
  • SCORM Activity: Carrots and Celery - CHECKED
  • SCORM Activity: Beef and Chicken - CHECKED
  • SCORM Activity: Why Food is Good! - CHECKED

me
Re: Activity Restrictions and their impact to Course Completion
by George Angus - Thursday, 5 July 2018, 9:25 PM
Group Totara

Hi Gavin,

If Im understanding this right then you want dynamic, or multiple sets of completion criterion for a course. 

As I see it there as problems with this, and its not really connected to the system functionality, but what defines a course.

If you take a course and there are certain conditions which have to be met in order to pass then that's what the learner must do, and further - that's what passing the course actually means - you have achieved a well-defined educational standard, . 

It might be possible to arrange separate pathways for groups through certain activities that in themselves only lead to activities which are part of the completion settings, but if you set conditions for completion then they must be met, different completion criteria  & activities = different course.

cheers,

George.

me
Re: Activity Restrictions and their impact to Course Completion
by George Angus - Thursday, 5 July 2018, 9:35 PM
Group Totara

Hi Gavin,

Programs are the obvious solution here.

cheers,

George.