Totara Learn Open Discussions

Course appears in Sub Category but not Parent Category

Ally Simmons
Course appears in Sub Category but not Parent Category
by Ally Simmons - Wednesday, 22 August 2018, 10:21 AM

When you add a course to a Sub Category, it no longer appears under the Parent Category. Is there a setting that allows the course to appear in both Parent and Sub categories? 
Craig Eves
Re: Course appears in Sub Category but not Parent Category
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 22 August 2018, 4:44 PM
Group Totara

Hi Ally

Are you using the Find Learning top menu to show the courses - this should show the course no mater what category the course is in.

The Find Learning is a report that can be modified in later Totara versions so the category can be included in the search.

Hopefully this helps - I am not sure why you are wanting a course to appear in catgegory and sub category - as long as it is able to be found it doesn't need to appear twice?

Regards

Carly Bradford
by Carly Bradford - Friday, 24 August 2018, 6:21 AM

We don't think of it as appearing twice, but operating as a drill down. If they were just in two separate categories, I wouldn't expect any crossover. However, with subs, I would expect the behavior to be:

Select Parent -- see all children, grandchildren, great grandchildren.

Select Parent/Child -- see all grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Select Parent/Child/Grandchild -- see all great grandchildren.

With this behavior, a learner nagivating a huge site who isn't knowledgeable about the organization can start his search the at parent category and drill down as needed.

But I'm guessing it doesn't work this way :)

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 26 August 2018, 5:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi Carla

Thanks for the example- the category filter has a include sub-categories tick box that will show course from all the category levels below the selected course category.

Carly Bradford
by Carly Bradford - Monday, 27 August 2018, 5:53 AM

Thank you. Unfortunately, this makes two problems caused by our partner. We purchased a theme, and the theme keeps "hiding" important options such as this. Thanks for helping us narrow down the problem!
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 27 August 2018, 4:40 PM
Group Totara

Hi Carla

I think it is unlikely this is hidden by a theme - the Totara version you are using may not have this option. 

I looked at 2.9 and this option wasn't included - what version have you got (this is shown under Site Admin > Notifications)

regards