Totara Learn Open Discussions

Single course mulitple F2F sessions - completion history only shows 1st attendance

BIANCA TODD
Single course mulitple F2F sessions - completion history only shows 1st attendance
by BIANCA TODD - Tuesday, 6 March 2018, 9:29 PM

Hi,

We have a number of courses that have multiple F2F sessions which maybe done yearly or bi-yearly etc (not consistent) and a staff member may have attended one session say two years ago then returns to do the course again this year.

These courses are run sporadically, are in-house "inservice" training to departments. We have certifications for our courses that require recertification within a given time frame. Works fine and the completion history report is reflective of attendance.

However when we run a course completion report with history on these single courses with multiple F2F sessions it only sees the first attendance and not the following attendances.

It could be how we have set up the F2F course or else, we are thinking perhaps it cannot be done with a single course with  multiple F2F sessions.

Our aim is not to have to create a course for every single session to see attendance in the history report. This would result in a large number of courses being created every year. 

Is it possible and if so, what is the best way to capture those attendances?

We are using Totara 2.9.

Thank you.

me
Re: Single course mulitple F2F sessions - completion history only shows 1st attendance
by George Angus - Wednesday, 7 March 2018, 4:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bianca,

Would it be possible for you ask your Totara partner to submit a support ticket? Can you supply screenshots of all the settings which we would need to recreate the scenario?

many thanks,

George.

BIANCA TODD
Re: Single course mulitple F2F sessions - completion history only shows 1st attendance
by BIANCA TODD - Thursday, 8 March 2018, 9:34 PM

Hi George,

I have attached a summary of the settings for the course and the report and short visual of the results.

Thank you.

me
by George Angus - Monday, 12 March 2018, 8:40 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bianca,

Thanks for the info.

What should be happening is the course completions will be reset according to how you've set up the certification, or recurring program.  I'd need sight of all the settings, and report outputs. 

Also it would be handy to have logins to your site. 

If the activities are not being reset we need to investigate. It makes sense to move the issue to our ticketing site, can you ask your Totara Partner to submit a Support ticket, or are you a Direct subscriber?

cheers,

George.

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Tuesday, 13 March 2018, 7:56 PM

Hi Bianca,

We do a similar thing here and if I've understood correctly, I think you need to run a face-to-face report to see multiple attendance data per learner in a single course, when the course is not part of a certification.

We setup certifications for courses that require re-certification at certain periods for example First Aid every 3 years.  This works beautifully and can be tracked nicely in Course Completion and Certification reports.

We also have instances where a single course requires a learner to 'Fully Attend' different session topics over a few months, as well as participate in some follow-up teleconferences before the course marks as complete.  For this, we have a single course which contains a face-to-face activity for every session topic/teleconference and in the Course Completion conditions, each face-to-face activity must be marked as complete for the course to be marked as complete. If we want to report on this, a course completion report will show the final date of completion, and a face-to-face report will show the dates/times each learner attended each of the face-to-face activities.

Finally, we have lots of ad-hoc face-to-face training and in-services that happen, that don't require re-certification, but staff may attend multiple times.  We don't need (or want) to create a course for every single ad-hoc session and in-service that happens across our organisation (>50 different sites). So we have a 'general' course per topic and staff can have their attendance recorded multiple times against a single face-to-face activity.  For example, the course may be called 'Wound Care - General' and the different sessions our sites may run on an ad-hoc basis could be 'Skin Conditions', 'Wound Dressing', 'Wound Care Fundamentals', and the list goes on. When the sessions are setup in the 'general' course, we use a custom face-to-face field labelled 'Session Name' to capture the official name of the session.  The only way we've been able to see this reflected in reports is to run a face-to-face report as you'll see multiple attendance records for those staff who attended multiple times (and we have the Session Name custom field setup as a column in the report).  In this scenario, the Course Completion report will only display the initial completion date when the learner initially achieved the course completion conditions, unless of course the course is part of a certification.

Cheers,

Michelle

BIANCA TODD
by BIANCA TODD - Wednesday, 4 April 2018, 3:35 PM

Thank you Michelle. You sound like you have similar scenarios. 

Yes, you are right, in that a Face-to-face report would pull those granular details but as the system matures (we implemented Totara around 18 months ago) and users are doing a multitude of courses they are ultimately looking for a learning transcript that pull in every course they have attended (fully) - the course list in their Record of Learning does not give them an accurate list as such because it is showing their first attendance, not their latest.

We also discovered that if they look in their past bookings section they will find a defined list of Face-to-Face sessions they attended but again it is not a complete transcript lists certifications/courses they have completed. Perhaps the question should be is there a report that in fact pulls all of those details together - F2F, courses, certifications etc?

I like how you used the custom field 'session name' as well for those courses. I think that would be quite valuable for us when there are related sessions but conducted at later dates.

Thank you for your insight. It helps us to make the call - do we go on creating many single courses or do we continue to use a multiple session single course?

Phil Everist
by Phil Everist - Tuesday, 28 August 2018, 1:32 AM

Hi 

I also work in a health service in the process of looking to upgrade from Moodle to Totara and I am looking at this same question for how to track attendance at ad-hoc face to face training. I am familiar with the face to face activity within a course and how it works but not the 'other evidence' option that Totara has (and Moodle doesn't).

In Totara, rather than requiring every training session to be set up under a course, is it possible to run a training session then have the trainer easily update the attendance record as other evidence (linked to a learning plan) for each attendee using a csv upload file or similar?

I found documentation about how a user updates their own evidence but not how it might be bulk uploaded for multiple users by a trainer or admin person from attendance sheets 

Thanks   

Phil

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 28 August 2018, 6:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi Phil

It is possible to Upload Course Completion Records including evidence fields for the Evidence description and completion dates. The evidence type can also be selected and custom evidence fields can also be included.

Site admin > Courses > Upload Completion Records 

Regards