Totara Learn Open Discussions

Exceptions for auto-assigned learning

? ?
Exceptions for auto-assigned learning
by ? ? - Monday, 4 March 2019, 7:13 PM

Hoping someone has done this before and can help …

We have a programme that is automatically assigned too all new staff. There is one course in the programme though that some staff don't need to complete. We want them to still be automatically assigned the learning then for us to manually exempt them form the course they don't need to do.

I thought maybe we could set up an set audience we manually add those who don't need to complete the course to but I'm confusing myself figuring out how to manage the exceptions. Any suggestions would be great!

me
Re: Exceptions for auto-assigned learning
by George Angus - Tuesday, 5 March 2019, 2:35 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

Could you supply some more information on why the users don't have to complete the course? Have they already completed an equivalent qualification? 

cheers,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 6 March 2019, 7:05 PM

Hi George

The learners who don't need to do the auto-assigned learning are people who are front-line and don't use the system the training is for. There are several hundred of them in an organisation for 1800. We want them to do the other parts of the induction but not this one particular course.

Cheers

Jo

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 18 March 2019, 11:55 AM

Hi George

This group of learners are life guards and pool staff and the course is about how to use our document management system.

These people need to do the auto-assigned Health and Safety training and induction, but not the document management system training. So they need to do 3 of the 4 auto-assigned courses. As their role has high turn over I dnot reallyw ant to make a set audience who are the exception to the auto assigned courses but am stuck as to how to proceed.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 5 March 2019, 3:16 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo

If you go to the users Record of Learning and select the Program there should be a screen that allows the manual completion of the course.

There is a capability 'Mark a course in a program complete via a user's required learning' that you can assign to roles that you want to be able to do this,

regards

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 18 March 2019, 11:51 AM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for this. We're wanting the course to actually not be assigned to this group of learners, rather than manually marking it as complete. They don't need to do the course, so don't need to complete or be marked complete.

So our system automatically assigns 4 courses to all new staff, but there is a small group of staff who only need to complete 3 of the 4. I thought about creating an audience of these people and adding the audence as an exception somehow but I'm stuck.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 18 March 2019, 6:58 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo

Ok thanks for clarifying this.

I can't think of a way that the same program can have different learning content based on an audience. 

It is possible to hide a course by audience but they program completion criteria would need to be based on two different rules - completing 4 or 3 courses.

The only way i can think of is to have two programs - one with three courses and one with four course and assign users through separate audiences for each program

regards