Best practice forum (Archived)

Slow performance for single user - howcome?

Tiina Kyhn
Slow performance for single user - howcome?
by Tiina Kyhn - Thursday, 21 March 2019, 12:30 AM

Dear all,

hope you can help? 
we have a single user who experiences extremely slow performance by using Totara application. His 

hardware and software is pretty well the latest that can be obtained with all the latest updates installed, and he has no issues with anything other than using Totara LMS.

When he tried to login on another computer the performance was ok. Meaning we have localized the problem to his computer settings, but do not know which settings to change to enable him to work properly?

Are there any specific requirements to run Totara LMS?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Brian Barnes (Core Developer)
Re: Slow performance for single user - howcome?
by Brian Barnes (Core Developer) - Thursday, 21 March 2019, 2:51 PM
Group Totara

HI Tiina,

There are minimum browser requirements (IE11, recent Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari for recent versions of Totara), all of which should provide decent performance. Some of the things that that could be worth checking include:

• Does a different browser on the same machine have similar issues? If so then then there could be some software on the machine that is impacting performance.
  • Is Browser caching disabled? This will cause more network requests than otherwise would be necessary.
  • What addons are installed in the browser? Some will interfere with browser performance.
  • Is it general site performance or just a small number of pages?
Cheers,
Brian
Tiina Kyhn
by Tiina Kyhn - Friday, 22 March 2019, 4:55 AM

Thanks Brian!
Much appreciated! I have received following response from the user:

I have just come off a support session with our IT support and we have found out a few more things:

Most significantly they also have exactly the same problem when trying to access LearningZone with my credentials so it NOT just my laptop that has the problem

We have tried Chrome and updated it to the latest version on my machine and theirs, still the same problem

Tried disabling add-ons , firewalls and virus protection, still the same problem

Same problem using IE11, Edge, Firefox, all latest versions, on their machines and mine.

Browser caching is enabled, cookies allowed

It is a general problem, any command causes a long delay before it is executed, it’s not page specific.

They have suggested that a possible next step would be to use developer tools run by their web development department to see what code is running in the background within Totara LMS, and try and find the problem but have asked could your IT/Totara come back with comments on the above first.

Thanks

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 24 March 2019, 12:51 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tiina,

Could you request your Totara partner submits a support ticket? They should know what we need - which is basically full environment details and replication steps. Also the number of users would be useful, and any other relevant details such as the number of audiences etc.

Your partner may want to try this:

To enable slow query logging, add 'logslow' => true to the 'dboptions' array in config.php.

This will cause slow queries to be logged in the 'log_queries' table in the database. This table can also be export and sent to Totara Support.

regards,

George.