Best practice forum (Archived)

Issuing a digital certificate once a learner completes a program

Miranda Kofoed
Issuing a digital certificate once a learner completes a program
by Miranda Kofoed - Thursday, 11 April 2019, 4:08 PM

We would like to issue digital certificates when a user completes a program and for the certificate to list all the courses within the program.

From what I can tell, within the program settings screen you can only add a course. This means, if I want to include a digital certificate as part of a program, I would need to create a course comprising of a topics format and include a digital certificate as an activity type. My only issue is that if I want to restrict access to the digital certificate until all required courses are completed within the program, I cannot find a way to do this.

I believe I have two options:

1. I create a course with a certificate activity with no restriction and add this to the program however this means the learner could access the certificate before completing the program components

2. Each course within the program to be changed to a topics format with a certificate activity – this would mean we could apply a restriction to the certificate but would mean there would be a certificate for each course (in some of our programs this includes 5-10 courses) rather than just having the one digital certificate with all courses (which would be ideal).

Does anyone have any advice in this space?

Craig Eves
Re: Issuing a digital certificate once a learner completes a program
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 11 April 2019, 5:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Miranda

My suggestion is to create a course with just the program certificate included in it. 

Include this course in the last course set with a 'then' operator in the program. The user won't be able to access the course until all preceding courses required in the program have been completed so in effect the course certificate will be issued when the program is completed.

Another alternative is to use a site level badge and award the badge on program completion