Totara Learn Open Discussions

RPL seems to be blocking or overriding the ability to complete newer attempts

John Wiles
RPL seems to be blocking or overriding the ability to complete newer attempts
by John Wiles - Friday, 13 September 2019, 11:09 AM

Any advice on how to get around an issue that seems to be affecting thousands of users/attempts in regards to RPL records blocking the completion of newer attempts?

It seems completion editor is the standard way to get around this, but it's not very user friendly for updating all of the records involved.  I really do not want to try to do this by hand (i.e. through the database) unless it is my only choice.  I cannot archive the records because in my experience it does away with the completions I am trying to give the status "completed" to, as well as anyone else in progress.

Thanks!

Wesley Holden
Re: RPL seems to be blocking or overriding the ability to complete newer attempts
by Wesley Holden - Monday, 16 September 2019, 7:18 PM

Hi John,

Could you share more info on what users are encountering? What are the learners trying to access and not being able to do (i.e. can't access a SCORM, can't retake a quiz, etc)? 

RPL isn't intended to prevent access to course activities or resources - it's just meant to impact the overall completion criteria/reporting.

Thanks!

Wes

John Wiles
Re: RPL seems to be blocking or overriding the ability to complete newer attempts
by John Wiles - Tuesday, 17 September 2019, 5:11 AM

Yes I can, sorry for not including that earlier. Learners are just trying to complete a reattempt at a course. However, the RPL seems to be preventing the attempt completion from actually completing or updating.

We didn't realize, and the documentation also didn't specify, that any courses completed by RPL should have been archived prior to the courses going live. Hindsight is 20/20, and we're now faced with the dilemma of how do we resolve this in the most efficient way possible with the least amount of risk to data integrity and our users in general. 

John Wiles
by John Wiles - Friday, 20 September 2019, 9:46 AM

Just as a followup, and this is probably beyond the scope of these forums but I just need to post an update.

Having read through the RPL import code and the Course Completion Archiving code, as best I could in the short time I had to do so, it seems most of it is pretty straight forward. The key things are the migration from course_completions to course_completion_history, and the deletion of records from block_totara_stats, and course_completions..

So my steps would involve: 

1) reading in all of the RPL completions prior to a specified date and inserting them into the completion_history table.

2) if that insert succeeds then do the following: 

a) proceed with the removal from stats, provided the userid, course and timestamp matches the completion data.

b) then delete the completion record from the completions table.

I'm mainly wanting to verify that I'm not missing something. I am testing this on a development copy of the database and I'll post any other observations, etc., after testing.

John Wiles
by John Wiles - Monday, 23 September 2019, 8:33 AM

So, it's done and seems to be just fine (for now) after moving over 200,000 records around. There was one change to 2a... removed the timestamp option.

Wesley Holden
by Wesley Holden - Monday, 23 September 2019, 9:53 AM

Thanks for the updates John! I'm glad you were able to make progress.

Cheers,

Wes