Suggest Totara Learn features

TL-22485 Manage the ability to save searches

Craig Eves
TL-22485 Manage the ability to save searches
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 30 September 2019, 6:27 PM
Group Totara

Problem statement

When a report is shared with another user that includes a saved search the other user is able to change the saved search and access records the person sharing the report may not want them to access.

Use Case

As an Administrator I create a report that shows the completed elearning courses by a specific department, so I need to create a saved search as a default view of the report, limited to elearning courses. Then I need to share this report with a person in that department that needs to see only the completed elearning courses, not seminars, not blended learning.
By sharing this report I don't want that the person can see or modify the default saved search I shared and I don't want the this person can save a search: he should use the saved search I shared with him as is, no possibility to change or reset it, or to save a new search.

Suggested solution

Add a permission to edit/create saved searches

Alex Carrick
Re: TL-22485 Manage the ability to save searches
by Alex Carrick - Tuesday, 1 October 2019, 6:57 AM
Group Partners
At first I was going to say "isn't this the point of the content/access tabs"  - but I can see the use case that you only want to show one type of course - and that's the requirement (as opposed to focusing on the "specific department" part which is what I did at first"

Another possible solution would be to create a configuration on saved search itself (something like 'locked') that doesn't allow users to adjust the saved search.  I could see this being used in conjunction with Report Table blocks - since users can access the full report from the block, and then get access to records you don't want them to (parallel use case)
Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Wednesday, 2 October 2019, 3:43 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi,

This would be really useful especially if it was an option, in some instances it is good that users can filter for different information but sometimes it is inappropriate.

Our main use of this would be for training providers who only need information relating to a specific course, group of courses or category.

Many thanks
Steph

Lloyd Wilson
by Lloyd Wilson - Monday, 31 August 2020, 8:06 PM

It would be great if we could disable the ability for users to create public saved searches in reports.

Angelo van Damme
by Angelo van Damme - Wednesday, 11 January 2023, 1:03 AM
Group 2022 Learner of the Year (Silver)Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Good morning, 

Is there an update on this yet? I saw that TL-22485 was on Duplicated, and TL-8955 is on open since 2016. 

Is there maybe another solution for this? For example, that Saved Search option can be turned off in the settings 

Renee Tregonning
by Renee Tregonning - Thursday, 14 September 2023, 3:43 PM
Group Partners

Being able to lock a Saved Search is requested time and time again from clients. Particularly as there is no way to lock the content of the report to a particular course.

Use case:

Course owners who need to follow up particular courses across a business. At the same time they should not be able to see the records of any other courses across the business due to privacy. They will need to follow up the CEO for example on a particular course however the business does not want them seeing ALL records assigned to the CEO.

Renee Tregonning
by Renee Tregonning - Thursday, 14 September 2023, 4:09 PM
Group Partners

Additional to this:

• Permission to only allow certain roles to be able to apply public saved searches

Currently an administrator will identify who the person is that created the saved search, login as them and delete. When you have thousands of employees with this access, this is not a scalable solution

• Permission to manage 'saved searches' on reports (without the need to login)

This is a bottleneck when administrators leave the business or are away and they have setup the saved searches on their profile that support the whole business. Workaround currently is the create a 'shared account' to manage these things however this is now becoming problematic with security tightening, shared accounts present a risk particularly at this higher level of access.

If you can let us know which Issue Tracker is tracking these feature requests that would be great or if we need to raise a feature request.

Renee Tregonning
by Renee Tregonning - Thursday, 14 September 2023, 5:07 PM
Group Partners

Similar to the functionality of the Scheduled Reports report source.

Scheduler actions.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Monday, 18 September 2023, 1:52 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

👍 from us, this would be really useful

Raechel Wilson
by Raechel Wilson - Monday, 18 September 2023, 1:12 PM

We would love this feature too!