Totara Learn Open Discussions

Certificate availability

Rob Mills
Certificate availability
by Rob Mills - Tuesday, 14 January 2020, 1:30 AM

Hi, 

We have a requirement to have certificates either emailed to users or available for Trainers to download without the users having to log on and click the "get certificate" button. It seems the certificate plugin is designed not to make the certificate available until the user has actually received it. 

This is problematic for us as many users expect to receive their certificates as soon as they have completed the course without having log in and go and request it. 

I would be very grateful if anyone with deeper knowledge of this plugin could comment and suggest a way around this conundrum. The documentation has no detail on the issue process.

Rob

Sue Blake
Re: Certificate availability
by Sue Blake - Friday, 24 July 2020, 8:10 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site AdministratorGroup V18 Program Complete

Hi Rob, did you find out a way to do this?  

I've been asked if a Trainer can download a certificate on behalf of a Learner as we think some Learners may forget to complete this step and it is vital it happens as it is a compliance course that has the certificate emailed to our H&S team.

Regards

Sue

Rob Mills
by Rob Mills - Friday, 24 July 2020, 10:12 AM

Hi Sue, 

What we have done is to email the certificate to a dummy email address. That way it is issued and available to anybody with the trainer role. 

My memory is a bit vague right now but as I recall this was why we opted for the Moodle custom certificate plugin rather than the standard Totara one. You can specify that the certificate gets sent to a designated email address. 

Let me know if you want more detail. 

Best

Rob

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Monday, 27 July 2020, 12:59 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site AdministratorGroup V18 Program Complete

Hi Rob, thanks for taking the time to reply.  I've also set the certificate up so it gets sent to an additional email (our H&S Team) but it still requires the learner to go back into the course to generate the certificate.  Looking for a work around that allows the trainer to do this step on their behalf, is this something you did?

Sue