Totara Learn Open Discussions

Quiz settings - "Hide by default" at creation?

Joyce Maurin
Quiz settings - "Hide by default" at creation?
by Joyce Maurin - Thursday, 23 July 2020, 3:11 AM
Group Partners

Hello,

I'm trying to change the default value "Visible : Show" when you create an activity (for example a quiz). You can see this value under the "Common module settings" section.

When I'm on the administration of the plug-in "Quiz" ( admin/settings.php?section=modsettingquiz ) I don't find a way to customize the "Common module settings" section. I found the "Group" settings displayed on this section where under "Course default settings" ( admin/settings.php?section=coursesettings ) but did not find an option for the activities visibility.

Could you help me to find where is this "Visibility: hidden" option please?

I want to avoid to let my customers make a mistake and reveal a quiz topic when creating it so I want to choose "visibility: hidden" by default.

Best regards,

Joyce

me
Re: Quiz settings - "Hide by default" at creation?
by George Angus - Thursday, 23 July 2020, 4:38 PM
Group Totara

Hi Joyce,

Its not possible to do this via the Common module settings for activities. But you may want to hide the entire course until the Course creator is ready to release it, this has the advantage of hiding everything else that is not an activity as well - graphics, resources, links etc.

Home/Site administration/Courses/Course default settings

Regards,

George.

Joyce Maurin
by Joyce Maurin - Thursday, 23 July 2020, 11:32 PM
Group Partners

Hi George,

Thanks for your answer.

I understand. I'll add warnings to my customers when they add activities to a visible course which should not be displayed to learners yet.

On a blended-learning course you'll want to add activities and show them later for example, that was why we wanted to have the "not displayed by default" option as a security.

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 26 July 2020, 4:06 PM
Group Totara

Hey Joyce,

Its good practise to minimise any editing of live courses, it can lead to completion complications - not least of which is different Learners potentially completing different content for the same course. 

There's also the Restrict Access functionality which is related.

'The restrict access functionality (previously known as conditional access) allows you to set certain criteria that must be met for learners to view and/or complete an activity or resource'. 

regards,

George.