Totara Learn Open Discussions

LinkedIn Learning Course Upload -- URL + heading, tags, search metadata

Carol Papish-Putnam
LinkedIn Learning Course Upload -- URL + heading, tags, search metadata
by Carol Papish-Putnam - Wednesday, 15 January 2020, 9:28 AM

We have discovered that LinkedIn Learning (LIL) does not have deep integration with Totara and that LIL has no plans to set that up any time soon.  So we have turned to downloading the .CSV file that LIL provides and uploading the data into Totara using the Course Upload functionality.  I've discovered a few things that I thought might be useful to others and then I have some questions:

Useful information:

1. If you copy the course URL into the beginning of the "description" field, users can go directly to the LIL course once they find the course.
  2. To load all the courses into a specific category within your catalogue, you will need to use the # of the category, not the name.  You can find that # by going to Courses and Categories and clicking on the destination category.  The URL will look something like this:  https://xxxx.com/course/management.php?categoryid=132
  3. Add a "format" field to your upload file header and default that to "singleactivity".  After the upload, you can choose Type of Activity=URL and you can copy in the LIL course URL.  (My team is currently discussing whether or not to default the Type of Activity for "singleactivity" to "URL", rather than "Forum" which would remove the need for us to manually change the type of activity)

Questions:

1.  Is there any way to add the following fields to the Upload file:

a.  The specific LinkedIn Learning course URL

b.  A course header for the URL (this is the text that appears above the actual link)

c.  Tags -- To allow users to find the course other than searching for "linked" or "linkedin" or "learning"

d.  Search Metadata -- To allow users to find the course other than searching for "linked" or "linkedin" or "learning"

I did see another post (at least one) about being able to upload course data into Custom Fields when uploading multiple courses but did not see whether or not that had been actually done in Totara.

I hope this is helpful to some and that someone can definitely let me know if I can add the additional fields into my upload file and if so, what should the headers for those fields be.  Thanks in advance.  Carol.

Craig Eves
Re: LinkedIn Learning Course Upload -- URL + heading, tags, search metadata
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 15 January 2020, 5:30 PM
Group Totara

Hi Carol

Thanks for sharing this - you may be interested in contributing to the discussion on TL-22644 to integrate Linkedin Learning with the Content marketplace plugin..

regards

Carol Papish-Putnam
by Carol Papish-Putnam - Friday, 17 January 2020, 10:02 AM

Thank you, Craig.  I will copy my findings to that thread.  Is there a way to find the status of this request assuming that since it has a number, it is officially in Totara's radar?  Carol.

Carol Papish-Putnam
by Carol Papish-Putnam - Friday, 17 January 2020, 10:04 AM

I would still be interested to know if there is a way to include the fields I listed above to the Course Upload functionality.  Thanks again.  Carol.