Totara Learn Open Discussions

certifications without assignment

Matt Williams
certifications without assignment
by Matt Williams - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 9:16 AM

One of the strange things we bumped into recently was around setting up certifications. Now I don't mean the cert that you get for successfully occupying a chair and clicking next, but a cert that says you have taken a few classes and know something. So our totara host has said that in order for someone to start pursuing that kind of cert, I need to assign the cert to them. I am hoping that we are both just missing something. How can I set up a few different certification paths without having to assign them to users?

Craig Eves
Re: certifications without assignment
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 2:10 PM
Group Totara

Hi Matt

If I am understanding your requirements  correctly then you can set different certification paths by creating course sets and using the OR between different sets. 

This means they can complete either of the course sets to complete the certification. It is also possible to add criteria to each course set to say they need to complete at least x number of courses or a specified number of courses.

The user needs to be assigned to the certification but has the option of what courses to complete  the Certification.

Regards

Matt Williams
by Matt Williams - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 2:42 PM

the thing I found strange was the need to assign a user to a certification rather than a user deciding to pursue it and just starting. I don't want to have to assign the certification to users. All users should be able to pursue it.

Nathan Harris
by Nathan Harris - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 3:30 PM

Not sure if this will work for you.

We use Audiences to automatically assign learners into Certifications.  Create an Audience with the criteria of course completion and then create your certification enrolment as that Audience so the learner completes the course the first time and gets put into the Audience.  And by being in the Audience they are enrolled in the Certification