Totara Learn Open Discussions

Plug in/Solution

Deborah Jackson
Plug in/Solution
by Deborah Jackson - Tuesday, 11 February 2020, 3:52 AM

Hello

I have been asked to discover whether someone knows of a plug in/solution which will do the following:

Our taser officers need to have passed their taser course, their eyesight test, their medical and their PST training - All of the above elements will be set up as 'courses' on the LMS.

They already have an RFID chip or barcode on the equipment and a scanner which links the individual to the equipment. 

What they want to be able to do, is limit someone's access to the equipment if they haven't had the requisite training.

I know it is very unlikely that something like this has been developed, but thought I would ask.

Regards

Debbie

Jennifer Butts
Re: Plug in/Solution
by Jennifer Butts - Tuesday, 11 February 2020, 7:14 AM
Group Partners

If you have officials responsible for scanning the equipment and verifying completion of a milestone you could make them training editors in the LMS and have them mark the learner complete in the gradebook (like a an old fashioned teacher) when the criteria is met and verified by them. If you sequence the courses and make them dependent on each other to progress the completion marked by the Training Editor would be the trigger to open the next course in the sequence. Depending on what artifacts you need saved in the system you could also incorporate a homework component where the learner uploads evidence pieces for verification and review.

Thomas Hummelsberger
by Thomas Hummelsberger - Wednesday, 12 February 2020, 7:01 AM
Group Partners

Hi Debbie,

I do not know if that will fit somehow in your reqiurement.

One of our customers needed the possibility to proof offline if a learner has done the necessary trainings to attend a seminar.

The seminar trainer needed an opportunity to verify the learners status offline or online.

Following was developed:

1. Zertificate with a qr code, holding the learners data (encrypted)

2. Android APP which scans the qr code and verifies its authenticity  by showing the learners data (offline).

Additionally the APP could check an addional given ID against the LMS (if online).

Regards Thomas

Deborah Jackson
by Deborah Jackson - Wednesday, 12 February 2020, 7:48 AM

Thanks Thomas, that is really helpful.  I don't think the certificate would help as the courses are certifications, so someone's operational ability will change constantly, but the online Android APP is certainly a possibility.  Thank you once again for your suggestion.

Regards

Debbie