Totara Learn Open Discussions

Do you have guidelines or templates on designing effective distance learning programmes?

Abel Henry
Do you have guidelines or templates on designing effective distance learning programmes?
by Abel Henry - Tuesday, 24 March 2020, 8:44 AM

Dear community, with the Covid19 epidemic bringing much uncertainty for the months to come, many colleagues are starting to ask us how to convert workshops into distance learning package. 

I'm trying to put bits and pieces together - but would some of you have resources they could share? 

On a related topic (webinars) here is a document I've put together to encourage the use of more interactive and participatory features of ZOOM: https://unicef-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/ahenry_unicef_org/ETppqh47hMBKgA19hQ4TFuUBLcJDLQilRDy3tZ9OpC2ZBg?e=uf4zeT  

Matt Linaker
Re: Do you have guidelines or templates on designing effective distance learning programmes?
by Matt Linaker - Tuesday, 24 March 2020, 9:06 AM
Group Totara

Hi Abel, 

If people are switching their face-to-face training sessions to virtual sessions they can take advantage of the seminar functionality in Totara Learn. You can track attendance and organise all your upcoming virtual training by using the seminar functionality. If you’re not used to using the seminar functionality then have a look at our resources on this:

People might be delivering more webinars or virtual classes than they're used to. So as well as actually organising them here’s some ideas on how to run a webinar or a virtual class:

Now more than ever, people may be missing social interaction and may feel isolated or distant from their peers. If you've been thinking about adding more social learning to your training programs, then now might be the perfect time to start. Here’s some resources to help you on your way: 

There are also some great authoring tools out there that can help you when turning your training to online resources. In the Academy, one of the authoring tools we use is Adapt. My colleague Jordan ran a webinar on how to use Adapt recently so you may wish to have a look at that too: 

We also have an Academy course on how to use the SCORM activity in Totara Learn which might be of interest to you:

I hope those resources help. 

Matt