Totara Learn Open Discussions

Integrating Lynda.com/LinkedInLearning courses

Conn Warwicker
Integrating Lynda.com/LinkedInLearning courses
by Conn Warwicker - Wednesday, 18 September 2019, 1:18 AM
Group Partners

Hi,

Does anyone here have any experience with integrating courses from Lynda.com or LinkedInLearning into a Totara site?

I'm currently investigating the feasibility of doing this for a client in their Totara 12 site.

Would I be correct in saying the 2 ways of doing it would be:

- Adding an LTI activity module to a Totara course, to link to the external course, with API/secret keys

- Adding an AICC file as a SCORM activity module to a Totara course, to again, link to the external course

?

I have been attempting to use the example AICC download from here: https://www.lynda.com/lms/aicc but so far all that is doing in Totara when I open it on the course, is link back to the whole Lynda catalogue, so I may be doing something wrong there (possibly need to setup a testing account on Lynda).

If anyone has done this before, would appreciate any info/notes you might have on the process.

Thanks.

Nevin Butcher
Re: Integrating Lynda.com/LinkedInLearning courses
by Nevin Butcher - Wednesday, 18 September 2019, 3:09 PM

Hi Conn

Can't help but keen to see if anyone else can as our organisation is in the process of procuring LinkedIn Learning.

I've tried the AICC route, can get the individual courses to open from Totara but haven't managed to get any completion indicators sent back yet.

Haven't tried LTI yet as that would require partner involvement (aka $)

Cheers

Nevin

Robin Fruitticher
by Robin Fruitticher - Wednesday, 18 September 2019, 3:57 PM

Hi,

I had success loading LinkedIn Learning modules into version 11. 

On my LinkedIn admin site, I pull up a course I want by clicking on Content and on the course page, I choose the Download an LMS Package option. This gives me the zipped SCORM folder.

To upload it into a course on Totara, I only had success if I didn't upload the zipped file the way I would a normal SCORM file. I would open the course, turn editing on, and drag the zipped file to wherever I wanted it to live. This launches the dialog box that gives you the option to add a SCORM package. From there you can edit the SCORM settings the way you would any other SCORM file. 

To trigger completions, I first had to go into Plugins/Activity modules/SCORM package and enable the AICC HACP option. This is what enables the HTTP that AICC requires as opposed to the JavaScript API to transmit information.

I hope this makes sense. I have to admit, I felt a great sense of achievement getting it to work after many initial failures.

Nick Carey
by Nick Carey - Wednesday, 4 March 2020, 7:45 AM

Hi Robin,

I have placed a post on the forum earlier today with a similar issue to what you were facing with recording LinkedIn Learning completions.

We are trying to get AICC URL courses working with LinkedIn Learning (rather than pathway SCORM packages).

I have just seen your post and tried the settings you mentioned but to no avail.

I wondered if you might have any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 14 October 2019, 10:52 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Abel Henry
by Abel Henry - Tuesday, 24 March 2020, 8:24 AM

We have integrated a few hundred LinkedIn Learning activities using the AICC packages, but indeed reporting of completion is problematic. 

I fully second the idea of Jonathan Newman to have an integration of LinkedIn with the Marketplace - it would make our life easier. 

Meanwhile i wanted to share that our Totara Partner (Catalyst IT) is developing a backend integration using LinkedIn Learning API. The goal would be to report all course completions as recorded on LinkedIn Learning, whether this was initiated from our LMS or from the LinkedIn site. When a user completes a course that is not yet integrated to our LMS, a placeholder course will be created, with the LinkedIn course ID, so that all future completions of that course are recorded in one place. 

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 24 March 2020, 5:25 PM
Group Totara

Hi Abel

Thanks for you information on the integration planned with Linkedin - I will link this to the feature so our product team will look and ask further information if required.

Regards