Totara Learn Open Discussions

Trainer Feedback

? ?
Trainer Feedback
by ? ? - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 4:06 PM

I’m not sure if this question has been asked before, and apologies if it has, the forum seems to be inundated with the word “feedback” and even ‘Trainers feedback’. My question is, I have noticed that you can add feedback in the grades section, and that information can be exported into an excel report. But it seems that there is a limit to the amount of word that can be entered…Is there a case limit? And, if there is can it be increased, or is there any other solutions to adding Trainer feedback that can be exported along with grades from quizzes etc.

Craig Eves
Re: Trainer Feedback
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 5:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Phil

I tried adding a very long feedback in a quiz and exporting and opening in Excel and this seemed to work OK .

Is you feedback greater than 32 000 characters as Excel does have this limit for a cell - what version of Excel and Totara are you using?

regards

? ?
by ? ? - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 5:57 PM

Hi Craig, 

That's interesting. We are running version 12. could that be why?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 6:35 PM
Group Totara

Hi Phil

I was using Totara 12 so don't think that is where the limitation is, how many characters and line feeds have you got ?

There is also a limit of 253 line feeds in Excel (this varies depending on Excel version)

regards

? ?
by ? ? - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 7:06 PM

I've been running some tests and so far, so good. But that's adding feedback to a quizzes feedback. We're running Excel 2013. I'll do a few more but it seems like it's working just fine. Would feedback limits in the "Course total" feedback section differ to what would be in a quiz?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 8:08 PM
Group Totara

Hi Phil

I tried this with the Course total feedback and the Excel export seems to handle lots of characters too .

? ?
by ? ? - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 8:41 PM

Yeah, it's super odd i thought i could only add a little caption...But now it's working fine thanks for your time. 

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 7 May 2020, 6:10 PM

Hi Craig,

Sorry to bother again, but now that I can add feedback independently for each quiz. Could that then be extracted into a wider more generalized report? (In the reports section)

A report containing more information like date stamps no. of attempts as well as including the scores from individual quizzes and their feedback if entered?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 7 May 2020, 7:04 PM
Group Totara

Hi Phil

The quiz does not currently have a report builder source - there is a feature request for this that you can add your support to.

The existing quiz report in the course is able to be exported and also has some further analysis under Results that can be exported into an external tool for further analysis.

regards

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 14 May 2020, 9:05 PM

Hi Craig. I guess what i am aiming for is a course register type report. 

Containing:

Course name

Participant name

Date Range Start/Finish, even from multiple attempts

Overall Grade in percentage

And Feedback from the Trainer

For the feedback I’ve been using the quizzes and managed to add feedback to the end course total which gives an average of all the quizzes. So, my thinking is that maybe it is possible to add this into the report builder and hopefully create a report with the above parameters.

What do you think?

Regards,

Phil

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 17 May 2020, 6:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Phil

I think that this sounds Ok but the problem is that the Quiz activity doesn't ave a report source available for it.  It is possible to develop a report source  if you have development resources.

There is some inbuilt reports for quizzes that provide quite a bit of analysis but they are not report builder sources so have limited flexibility to modify.

regards