Totara Learn Open Discussions

Creating a user tour - Totara 11

Toby Pratt
Creating a user tour - Totara 11
by Toby Pratt - Thursday, 18 June 2020, 7:28 AM

Hello everyone,

I am setting up a user tour for our LMS homepage to help learners navigate the site. We are currently on Version 11.3 (Build: 20180514.00).

I have a few questions, hopefully the community can help!

1. When creating a step, you need to select a target. When I select the step target to be a "block", a list of options appears. Our homepage is a dashboard that has at least two featured link blocks. Is there a way of choosing from multiple instances of the same block type when creating a step? At the moment, the step defaults to the featured link block in the dash-primary region of the dashboard.
  2. I want to create steps to cover the search box, the profile button and log out button. Would I need to select the CSS selector target type for these elements? If so, is there any guidance as to how to use this option? The related help page and totara.learn course for user tours do not go into any detail. 
  3. The user tour on the Totara demo site has steps for the tabs at the top of the page. What step target do you need to use for these?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Toby Pratt

Craig Eves
Re: Creating a user tour - Totara 11
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 18 June 2020, 6:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Toby

First of all you may like to have a look at the user tour database to import one of the users tours and have a look at how items are selected

I will provide some info to help with your questions but don't have too much knowledge or experience

1. each block has a unique identified so can be selected with CSS selector using the block instance number so  the block 9 selector would be be  inst9.block_featured_links
  2. To see the CSS selector you can use the developer tools in your browser - e.g.in Chrome press F12 . Select the element tab and move your mouse to the elements in the code and the location will show in the browser. So in this case I have gone to the .usermenu item in the code and the location is shown in the browser in top right corner

3. The tabs can be selected by something like #page-totara-dashboard-2 > nav > nav > div > ul > li:nth-child(6) > a by the looks of the Site administrator dashboard User tour in the database

Regards

Toby Pratt
Re: Creating a user tour - Totara 11
by Toby Pratt - Sunday, 21 June 2020, 9:07 AM

Thanks Craig, after reading your post (and a bit of trial and error) I've got the CSS selector to work for our user tour.

Best wishes,

Toby