Totara Learn Open Discussions

Multiple Users

Meg James
Multiple Users
by Meg James - Wednesday, 8 July 2020, 5:57 PM

Is there a limit on the number of job assignments a user can have?

Thanks

Meg

me
Re: Multiple Users
by George Angus - Wednesday, 8 July 2020, 8:14 PM
Group Totara

Hi Meg,

There's no theoretical limit. Are you thinking of using the functionality for something other than actual jobs? 

cheers,

George.

Meg James
by Meg James - Wednesday, 8 July 2020, 8:53 PM

No, but client can theoretically have employees with up to 7 potential roles due to their complex set up.

Thanks for the quick response.

Meg

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 8 July 2020, 9:30 PM
Group Totara

Hey Meg,

Seven is no problem at all, but if its an extremely large site I'd watch out for lots of massive dynamic audiences with very large & complex rulesets based on them.

cheers,

George.

Harry Dixon
by Harry Dixon - Monday, 23 August 2021, 5:59 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group PartnersGroup V18 Program Complete

Hi George, 

Would it be an issue to have up to 100 job assignments for a user? 

We have a setup where each user is assigned 1 organisation, and a small number of users are assigned to many organisations, so that they can see reports for users in these organisations. The report viewers may be associated with up to 100 orgs. 

I am aware we could use the organisation hierarchy for this and assign the report viewers to a parent org, but we are aiming to automate as much of this work as possible. 

The users/orgs will be created via an API call, and we would prefer not to have the manual work of assigning each organisation to a parent, as there could be over 1000 organisations in total. 

We thought assigning the report viewers to many orgs would be the simplest way of handling this. 

Thanks

Harry

me
by George Angus - Monday, 23 August 2021, 7:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi Harry,

I think the obvious concern is a performance hit. Its hard to say if there would be problems unless you thoroughly test, but if you are also using dynamic audiences with a massive amount of orgs/jobs then there's probably a higher chance of performance issues. Id test to see what it takes to slow the system.

cheers,

George.