Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Totara and learning + quiz SCORM

Jennifer Lam
Totara and learning + quiz SCORM
by Jennifer Lam - Wednesday, 26 May 2021, 1:33 AM

Hi,

My company wants to create ONE single SCORM in Articulate Rise or Storyline that includes learning and an end of module exam. The exam score will need to feed back to Totara v12 to mark as completed. From our testing, if I completed the learning and scored 60% in the first attempt, Totara reads 60% in this attempt correctly. If I exit the SCORM, resume the same attempt, retrying the quiz and scored 95%; Totara does not read the new score and kept this attempt at 60%. 

We understand that there is the "force new attempt" setting we can enable, however, it will mean the user will have to re-complete the learning part again (in theory, it does not stop them from accessing the quiz but the user will see the learning as incomplete).

I have persuaded my team to split the learning and exam into 2 SCORMs but they do not like the idea. I cannot explain fully why we can't put learning and exam together in ONE SCORM, I just know it doesn't work well together. Is there anyone having the same issue? How can you work around having a learning + exam SCORM but Totara updating the score in the same attempt?

Thank you!

Best regards

Jennifer

Craig Eves
Re: Totara and learning + quiz SCORM
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 30 May 2021, 9:02 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jennifer

There are some SCORM troubleshooting docs that outline the various settings and issues that can occur.

• Does your SCORM go into Review mode when you go to retry the attempt?
  • Is the grading method consistent with what the SCORM value is being passed to Totara ?
  • Are you using SCORM 2004 ?

If this doesn't help then can you create a support ticket including the settings and the SCORM package so we can see what the problem might be?

Clive Massyn
by Clive Massyn - Tuesday, 24 August 2021, 4:34 PM

Hi Jennifer, 

I have the same question. 

Luckily in my case the module and the assessment are 2 different scos but I would really like to know what we should do if the module and the assessment must be in the same sco.

Clive

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 24 August 2021, 7:55 PM
Group Totara

Hi Clive

This could be a problem with the Rise settings or even browser related.

There are some issues discussed in Rise forums  - to rule out Totara settings you can upload the SCORM to SCORM Cloud and check that the Scores and completion status are updating correctly in the SCORM Cloud when reattempting.

regards

Jennifer Lam
by Jennifer Lam - Tuesday, 24 August 2021, 9:21 PM

Hi Clive,

After an extensive investigation, once a package has a status of: completed, passed, or failed, then the current attempt has finished. Re-entry to the SCORM package should allow either a new attempt to be generated or the existing previous attempt to be entered into review mode. (Quoted from Totara Help)

Therefore, you MUST enable "force new attempt" if you would like to put learning and assessment in one scorm. However, it will mean that, the user will enter the SCORM without any progress and get confuse that their learning progress has not been recorded.

There is perfect way to include learning and assessment into one scorm without causing some sort of confusion to the user unfortunately. Hope Totara can update the rule of review mode!

Best regards

Jennifer