Totara Learn Open Discussions

Administrative Approval

Deborah Jackson
Administrative Approval
by Deborah Jackson - Friday, 10 July 2020, 9:18 AM

Hello

We ;have seminars set up requiring administrative approval.  However, when I click on 'approve' I get the following message 'There is no direct way to change signup status to required state'  Our help desk has logged in as me, and don't get the error message.

I have tried logging on with different browsers and different devices, but still get the same message.  Can anyone help please, We are UAT testing at the moment and this will mess up all our scheduling.

Regards

Debbie

Craig Eves
Re: Administrative Approval
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 12 July 2020, 7:12 PM
Group Totara

Hi Debbie

Are you using the two stage manager and administrator approval..

If you are approving as a manager did you receive a notification for approval of the seminar and are trying to approve from the link in the notification. Has the manager changed or do you use multiple managers and this has already been approved by a manager.

In theory logging in as a person should display what the user sees - this is not always the case though.

If this doesn't help resolve this then please get your Partner to create a support ticket with details of the settings and replication steps.

Regards

Deborah Jackson
by Deborah Jackson - Monday, 13 July 2020, 12:52 AM

Hi Craig

Thanks for your speedy response.  We have one course which requires manager approval - at first the notification wasn't going to the manager, but this was resolved.

The majority of our courses just require administrative approval.  I have  2 permissions for this.  One is called Approver and has a do not reply email address.  This role is set up to approve/decline in the settings.

The other is RMU, where permissions have been given to approve site wide as has my site administrator role.  If I log on as the 'approver' I am able to approve/decline.

I also received an email over the weekend from a trainer, who is no longer able to view the trainer permissions, however, when I log on as him, I can see the reports/grades, etc.

As suggested, I will ask our provider to raise a support ticket.

Regards

Debbie

Deborah Jackson
by Deborah Jackson - Monday, 13 July 2020, 2:52 AM

I believe our service provider have found the problem, which is to do with the above.  We have many people who we wish to be able to approve/decline bookings, not just one person.  I've been given the following options which are not ideal for us:

1.  Multiple select about 50 people to approve, decline for every session.

2.  Create an account, which the people who approve/decline log into (disadvantage is that there are no logs), but I can then just select the one account.  I don't really think this is an option.

I was really hoping that I could just create a role who approve/decline, which would override the seminar settings.  Why am I not able to do this?

Regards

Debbie

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 13 July 2020, 5:46 PM
Group Totara

Hi Debbie

There isn't an approve booking permission for seminars - the seminar approval is controlled through the Signup Workflow in the seminar.

It is possible to add an event role to a seminar and then the event role will be shown as an approval option in the Signup workflow 

If you assign everyone who can approve a seminar to the event role (Seminar Approver) then you create a seminar event you will be able to select the users you want to approve the seminar.

Does this sound more what you want to achieve?

Regards

Deborah Jackson
by Deborah Jackson - Tuesday, 14 July 2020, 12:22 AM

Hi Craig

Sadly not, if I did as you suggest:

1.  I would need to tick every single person on every single event (hopefully cloning events would make this less of a chore)

2.  Every time someone new had this role, I would need to go into every event already set up and put a tick against their name in order to give them permission to approve/decline.

To explain a bit more, we are a collaborated L&D Department, who manage the training of three different police forces.  Each police force has a Resource Management Unit who make sure there are enough officers on the street with skills such as driving, taser, firearms, etc.  Hence the need for their approval for a learner to be abstracted from duties to attend training.  Each Resource Management Unit has about 6 people who are able to approve/decline bookings.

Regards

Debbie

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 14 July 2020, 5:09 PM
Group Totara

Hi Debbie

Ok that does sound a bit labour intensive - there are quite a few options around signup including requesting a position but these still have the approval issue.

In the signup workflow there is a 'Learner accepts terms and conditions' option so learners can self approve after they have received approval. The terms and conditions could include the names of the approvers and also other instructions about approval requirements.

You could also ask them to copy the confirmation text from the approver into a  custom signup field so there is a record of the approval being given. 

Regards

Deborah Jackson
by Deborah Jackson - Wednesday, 15 July 2020, 12:29 AM

Thanks for your advice Craig. 

Regards

Debbie